• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How long...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
...do you leave it to make a move on a girl who's just split with her boyfriend (yesterday)?

It was a fairly short term relationship which broke up because he treated her like a doormat, which she obviously didn't like!

i've asked almost everyone i know what to do!
x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Move now, while she is still vulnerable.

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds a little... threatening!
I have been advised to "be there for her"!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
I normally make a move whilst she is still with her bf :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Wow, you guys are horrible! lol. :)

Well, the problem is that if you are "there for her" too long you might get stuck in the friend zone. Timing is everything, when it feels right, go for it ... thats the best I can tell you.

Good luck! ;)

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just a problem of getting the timing right. BUT HOW?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I normally make a move whilst she is still with her bf :Smirk:

I've done it too, but I felt really guilty even though I was successful, and she happens to be my current girlfriend. Its really a bad idea.

Move now, while she is still vulnerable.

Don't make it obvious that is what you are doing right of the bat, be there for her for a few days, take her out to get her mind off of it, and over the course of a few days make a move slowly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
...the problem is that if you are "there for her" too long you might get stuck in the friend zone...

Always a tricky one to call... I managed to play this is just right a few years ago... and married her in May this year!

I found that the easiest thing to do was be honest - to a point - tell her how you feel in a non-threatening "off the cuff" kinda way. Stuff like "well if I was your boyfriend I would..."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've done it too, but I felt really guilty even though I was successful, and she happens to be my current girlfriend. Its really a bad idea.

You sound like my oldest. She always finds her next BF while still with the current one, then test drives him for a while and then breaks up with the current one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
You sound like my oldest. She always finds her next BF while still with the current one, then test drives him for a while and then breaks up with the current one.

Haha, all of us seem to have. . .rather concerning posts in this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
...do you leave it to make a move on a girl who's just split with her boyfriend (yesterday)?

It was a fairly short term relationship which broke up because he treated her like a doormat, which she obviously didn't like!

i've asked almost everyone i know what to do!
x

So are you looking for a relationship or just a fun night?

OP
Clueless
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So are you looking for a relationship or just a fun night?

A relationship (hopefully involving lots of fun nights ;P). Nah, definitely a relationship, i'm starting to really like this girl, and i hate the way she's been treated. I reckon she likes me - i just cant gauge how much. I do reckon she'd be interested if I asked though!

Cheers for the advice, good and bad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Five seconds after is generally a good time, though you'd have to either be there when the breakup happens or she has to call/text you right afterward. So practically speaking, 24 hours is a good time frame as by then you're bound to have found out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Five second rule.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There is no one good answer to this question. Everyone will give you a different opinion and all of them will be right to a certain degree (maybe not all of them). Do whatever you think is right - only you know best what the relationship between you and this girl is best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
There is no one good answer to this question. Everyone will give you a different opinion and all of them will be right to a certain degree (maybe not all of them). Do whatever you think is right - only you know best what the relationship between you and this girl is best.

LOL! Nice, very nice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
x

That should tell you something about the girl, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Always a tricky one to call... I managed to play this is just right a few years ago... and married her in May this year!

I found that the easiest thing to do was be honest - to a point - tell her how you feel in a non-threatening "off the cuff" kinda way. Stuff like "well if I was your boyfriend I would..."

I'd go along with this advice. But I'd also do like someone else suggested and be there for her and take her mind off of things. Then in a day or two when you guys are alone, have a conversation like quicksilver suggested. Maybe cross the "friends" boundary by flirting with her and see how she responds (not anything bad!) Give her a back massage to relieve her "stress," hint about being her gf, etc.

And like someone above me also said, use your best judgement. Only you really know when would be the right moment to try to make a move.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.