Step 3) Installing bootcamp drivers for Windows

Reaction score
Hi,

When I get to step 3 where you have to instal the drivers for windows using the OSX instal disc, the OSX instal disc is unusable. The disc wont auto run and when opening the disc manually, it shows empty contents with no setup.exe file.

Im pretty much stuck at this point and the computer now starts up and runs windows. I dont know how to switch back to Mac either.

I have no idea what to do now.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi,

When I get to step 3 where you have to instal the drivers for windows using the OSX instal disc, the OSX instal disc is unusable. The disc wont auto run and when opening the disc manually, it shows empty contents with no setup.exe file.

Im pretty much stuck at this point and the computer now starts up and runs windows. I dont know how to switch back to Mac either.

I have no idea what to do now.

Thanks.

Are you sure you're using DISK 1 from your Leopard install set? Only DISK 1 contains the Boot Camp drivers and has an "autorun.inf" file. Even if you are using DISK 1 and by chance it won't autorun, you should be able to open the disk in Explorer and double click on setup.exe. Unless you install the drivers and Boot Camp control panel application, you will not be able to select OS X from within Windows. Also, without the drivers, things like video, sound, iSight, bluetooth, etc, will not work right when you're in Windows.

To start OS X, reboot the machine and hold down the option key. You'll see an icon for starting your Mac.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB
To install the drivers on the Mac provided discs for Windoze, you must install them on the Windoze side, not in the Mac OS. Once you insert the Apple provided disc 1 on the Windoze side, a auto install should run and install the drivers for the boot camp options and control panel stuff.

The thing that gets me with this whole dual boot system, is that using parallels or a hard boot for windblowz, once the application hangs, and it will, you can't shut it down without a force quit. If you do a force quit, it ruins the windows start up sequence, and you'll get some sort of "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start", which is where I'm at with mine. This just stinks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Bmode,

I had a similar problem - just remove your battery then reboot. Should clear the stalled programs.

Noel

OP
B
Reaction score
Are you sure you're using DISK 1 from your Leopard install set? Only DISK 1 contains the Boot Camp drivers and has an "autorun.inf" file. Even if you are using DISK 1 and by chance it won't autorun, you should be able to open the disk in Explorer and double click on setup.exe. Unless you install the drivers and Boot Camp control panel application, you will not be able to select OS X from within Windows. Also, without the drivers, things like video, sound, iSight, bluetooth, etc, will not work right when you're in Windows.

To start OS X, reboot the machine and hold down the option key. You'll see an icon for starting your Mac.

Regards.

Yes, iv tried both discs. Thanks i got OSX going again.

To install the drivers on the Mac provided discs for Windoze, you must install them on the Windoze side, not in the Mac OS. Once you insert the Apple provided disc 1 on the Windoze side, a auto install should run and install the drivers for the boot camp options and control panel stuff.

The thing that gets me with this whole dual boot system, is that using parallels or a hard boot for windblowz, once the application hangs, and it will, you can't shut it down without a force quit. If you do a force quit, it ruins the windows start up sequence, and you'll get some sort of "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start", which is where I'm at with mine. This just stinks.

Im doing it on the windows side. But when I insert the OS X disc 1 it doesnt auto run and opening the D drive shows it as empty.

Bmode,

I had a similar problem - just remove your battery then reboot. Should clear the stalled programs.

Noel

Tried what you said but no cigar. Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you look at the files on the Leopard disc while in OS X can you see autorun.inf file?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.