• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Flashback trojan reportedly controls half a million Macs and counting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Just ran the "defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment" script in the Terminal Window and it return "File Does Not Exist"

I guess my iMAC is clean then - right?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
Just ran the "defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment" script in the Terminal Window and it return "File Does Not Exist"

I guess my iMAC is clean then - right?

Tom
That definitely is a plus. You now have to run
Code:
defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
in Terminal. If you get another error, you are all clear.

There is however talk that the trojan installs into your default browser however so I'm not too sure on how that goes, you can perhaps do some more reading around. I haven't bothered because I'm pretty sure I am clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
That definitely is a plus. You now have to run
Code:
defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
in Terminal. If you get another error, you are all clear.

There is however talk that the trojan installs into your default browser however so I'm not too sure on how that goes, you can perhaps do some more reading around. I haven't bothered because I'm pretty sure I am clean.

It came back Does Not Exist too.

Thanks so much.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wonder where this magical figure of over 600,000 infected machines comes from originally? Doubt that I would trust a Russian AV software company!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Wonder where this magical figure of over 600,000 infected machines comes from originally? Doubt that I would trust a Russian AV software company!

I was wondering this too. How do they tell/know that 600k computers are infected?

Reaction score
I was wondering this too. How do they tell/know that 600k computers are infected?

I downloaded the sophos program that OSXdaily suggested.

Lo and behold…I am now "safe" from 3.5 million separate "threats" per their claims.

I had no idea Macs were so insecure.

;-)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My friend installed Sophos and his computer is noticeably slower.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

It's very likely bogus. Read Randy Singer's latest post to the Anti Virus Sticky thread.

Reaction score
My friend installed Sophos and his computer is noticeably slower.

Yeah I just tried it out to see what it looked like. Turned off. Come on, protection from 3 1/2 million Mac viruses.

LOL.

So it is now in the trash.

Reaction score
Hi

The thing to remember about Sophos is that so far I think it is only Mac compatible Anti VIrus software to look for both Mac and PC viruses/malware.

This should help make sure that your Mac does not become a carrier for PC viruses and malware.

I know that since the beginning of this year it has found about three PC related viruses that came in through one of me email IMAP services into a bulk/spam mail folder.

Enabling me to track them down and get rid of them.

Hope this helps a little

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
Cheers for the idiot guide instructions - thankfully, my iMac is clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I dont have it on any of my machines running tiger, leopard, snow leopard, or lion. I dont see how people could have gotten it .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A report I came across on Twitter said that it is now down to 270,000 infections. I really really want to know how they came across these numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
A report I came across on Twitter said that it is now down to 270,000 infections. I really really want to know how they came across these numbers.

What does that mean, "down to" ? Were they wrong about the initial number, or are they supposedly keeping track of those who "disinfect"? I'm finding this more and more amusing.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does that mean, "down to" ? Were they wrong about the initial number, or are they supposedly keeping track of those who "disinfect"? I'm finding this more and more amusing.

Doug

That's supposed to be the new number after people have disinfected their computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That's supposed to be the new number after people have disinfected their computers.

See, that right there tells me a lot. What a joke! Ain't nuthin' like determining the legitimacy of a supposedly wide spread infection ( of which the actual detrement has yet to be proven) by monitoring the amount of downloads which people have been scared into!

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.