How much RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Ok, I am a current windows user who is saving up for a MAC. I am looking to get a new 20" iMac as my new desktop. What I was wondering is, how much RAM would you all recommend in a iMac? I am trying to buy this computer on a budget so I am trying to cut cost. If I buy the 1 gig feature is it hard to upgrade? Does anyone know of a link that I can find the RAM cheaper at? Also, I am not going to be doing any major final cut pro or anything like that, mainly just iLife and I would like all the new features in OSX 10.5 to work very well. I have never worked with a mac so I am not sure. What would you all recommend on a iMac like this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Rule of Thumb: Do not buy RAM from apple.

Just get the iMac at stock RAM (1GB) and then if you need more RAM depending on your usage, you can always buy more RAM from so many sites. And installating RAM is easier than peeling an orange.

If Final Cut Pro is your thing, then I would recommend at least 2GB of RAM, again, not from Apple.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome thank you. Any one else feel free to chime in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1Gb for normal use - web surfing, emailing, video etc.

2Gb for extended use - many apps open at the same time e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, Mail, Safari all open at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
1Gb for normal use - web surfing, emailing, video etc.

2Gb for extended use - many apps open at the same time e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, Mail, Safari all open at once.
This pretty much sums it up for me. And what goobimama said is also very true. You can find RAM for much cheaper. I replaced 2 x 512MB sticks with 2 x 1GB sticks recently for about $90. It was on sale at Circuit City. Crucial is generally a good place to buy from also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have 2GB on my iMac, latest 24in model. I've yet to make it bog down, but I've only had it for about 18hours so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
As others have said, you will find that other RAM is much less expensive than Apple's, and it is not difficult to upgrade.

However, I'm going to take a different stance than some people here on how much you should get. I can't imagine using OSX on 1GB. I found it somewhat sluggish and unresponsive for general, day-to-day tasks even on 2. For instance, while typing in a text box like this one, if an icon on my dock started bouncing (e.g. if someone sent me an IM), the keyboard input would lag slightly until I acknowledged the IM notification. I would suggest that as a bare minimum, you get 2GB, particularly given the price of DDR2 RAM right now. You could max it out at 4GB for <$200 after you bought it, take it to 3GB for <$120, and 2GB for <$100:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac_Core_2_Duo/DDR2/

(and if you wait for frys.com to have a sale on OCZ ram again you could do it even cheaper than that)

Now, you're not doing anything that's likely to fill 4GB of RAM. Nor do I. However, my experience with OSX (and Windows, but not to nearly the same extent) has been that the more RAM it has to play with, the more responsive it is, even if the user isn't filling all of the available space. Given that you're on a budget, I'd get the least amount of RAM you can from Apple (the stock 1GB) and then upgrade it as far as your budget will go after you get it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome thank you. I have gotten the price down to 1,630.28 shipped with wireless mouse, student discount, and applecare. I opted to send it to my sisters house in another county because it made a $30 difference in sales tax. I think that is pretty good for the 20" 2.4 processor model.

Reaction score
memory upgrade: how to? imac 2.8 24"

I am new to apple and just ordered the above imac....I want to add 2 gb and have ordered it from crucial...what I need now is a clear understanding of how to perform the upgrade....any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's in the manual. Undo one screw, and insert your new Ram into the slot. The clips will spring back when you push the new RAM. Then screw back the little door.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.