Keep my MacBook Pro cool?

Reaction score
Hello,

Was curious what i should do to keep my macbook cool. I rarely hear the fans spinning, but sometimes it gets pretty hot.

Was wondering if there is a program to check the temperature of my computer, and adjust the fans as needed... but also curious if this would add more wear and tear on my fans....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Hello,

Was curious what i should do to keep my macbook cool. I rarely hear the fans spinning, but sometimes it gets pretty hot.

Was wondering if there is a program to check the temperature of my computer, and adjust the fans as needed... but also curious if this would add more wear and tear on my fans....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Search this forum, it has tons of information on heat issues with all Macs.

Try smcFanControl. Easy program to use.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry for updating an old thread but i attached an image of my computer temperatures.... can anyone tell me whether or not they are too hot or am i being paranoid lol??

I never hear my fan running, except when running games and alot of videos but besides that I can't feel air on the air vent and i never hear it running so it makes me worried...

However this is my first mac, so not sure whats the norm.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Sorry for updating an old thread but i attached an image of my computer temperatures.... can anyone tell me whether or not they are too hot or am i being paranoid lol??

I never hear my fan running, except when running games and alot of videos but besides that I can't feel air on the air vent and i never hear it running so it makes me worried...

However this is my first mac, so not sure whats the norm.

you are being paranoid, youre fine.

add your specs to your sig though, thatll really help people out in the future with your questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
from what ive read, when people start playing with fan settings and etc they begin to epicly eff their computer up.

i have the istat pro widget, its pretty cool.

Reaction score
The fans will speed up/slow down on their own, automatically, and as needed. There is no need to adjust them yourself. Also, if your macbook gets so hot, to the point where it might damage itself, it will shut itself down. Your computer wont commit suicide. iStat is a great widget for viewing all your system info in the dashboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G
is your Macbook a CoreDuo or Core 2 Duo?
i found when i upgraded my MBP form an 2.0 CD to 2.5 C2D that the temps were much lower, also interesting that the slowest fan speed it ever uses is ~2000rpm compared to ~1000rpm for the earlier model.
This is all shown through iStat, i havent installed SMCfan controller on this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.