Cut/Paste files on Mac?

Reaction score
This has frustrated me since I got my Mac and can't figure out why it happens. When I try to cut/paste files, it just makes the BEEP "can't do this" sound. Instead, I have to copy them all over, then delete them, or re-arrange the window sizes so I can drag and drop. Really silly that I can't just cut/paste to accomplish the same thing!

How can I fix this/why does Mac not allow me to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Can't "fix" it. Mac OS does not support cut for files. Never has, not sure it ever will. Don't get mad, adapt.

But, you don't have to copy and then delete. You can move them. Essentially, that's what cut and paste in Windows is. To move files, just drag them from one location to another on the same drive or device.

Reaction score
And to move to another device, just command-drag.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure if the feature was added with 10.7 or just the fact that I use TotalFinder, but I can cut/copy/paste files to my heart's content.

C

chas_m

It's a safety thing. People are too distract-able these days, so you can copy/paste files but not cut/paste them, since you might forget to paste (because the phone rang, or a shiny thing went by, etc).

OP
G
Reaction score
Ironic they have a safety measure for not accidentally cutting/not pasting while not supporting automatic saving in iWork. Ohhh Mac...

Is there a way to move the stuff without physically dragging? Doing that often requires re-sizing the windows to allow for a drag. It's not a huge deal, but definitely takes a bit longer and becomes a pain when doing it frequently.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX are you running? iWork and most apps in OSX Lion Auto Save.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This has frustrated me since I got my Mac and can't figure out why it happens. When I try to cut/paste files, it just makes the BEEP "can't do this" sound. Instead, I have to copy them all over, then delete them, or re-arrange the window sizes so I can drag and drop. Really silly that I can't just cut/paste to accomplish the same thing!

How can I fix this/why does Mac not allow me to do this?

Command + C on the file you want to move as if you were going to copy it, but use Command + Option + V to paste it and it will act as a cut instead of a copy. This is assuming you're using Lion, of course.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Disceptor, is this new to Lion's finder? I don't remember that working in older OSX versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Lol... Yeah, it's a new Lion feature. I've mentioned it a few times, and it went ignored because people (old Mac hens) don't give a hoot.

Another new feature I really like (and wish they'd make global somehow) is when in Preview, hold down the tilde key, and it opens an magnifying box.

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol... Yeah, it's a new Lion feature. I've mentioned it a few times, and it went ignored because people (old Mac hens) don't give a hoot.

Another new feature I really like (and wish they'd make global somehow) is when in Preview, hold down the tilde key, and it opens an magnifying box.

Doug

I somehow missed your posts about it. Me Bad!

Want a Hen egg Doug? :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or you can just purchase a copy of TotalFinder, one of the best purchases you'll ever make for your Mac, and cut, copy and paste just as you would in most other OSes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
(copied from How to cut/paste files & folders in OS X [Archive] - MacRumors Forums

1) command+drag = move
2) option+drag=copy
3) option=command+drag=make alias(shortcut)

Just to clarify a few things...

File management within the same drive/partition:
1) The act of drag-drop alone will move the file. There is no need to use "command+drag"
2) If you want to duplicate the file. Then option+drag is what you want (as others have pointed out, a green circle with a "+" will be displayed under the curser).

File management across two different drives/partitions:
1) Drag-drop alone will duplicate the file onto the second drive by default. Option+drag not necessary.
2) If you wish to move the file (leaving no copy on the original drive), then command+drag comes into play. The green-circle with the "+" icon will disappear from beneath the cursor.

Both cases:
3) Making aliases is the same for each. alt+command+drag

NOTE: for PC keyboards Command (Cmd) = windows key and Option = Alt

if you want to install your own keyboard shortcuts for cut/paste functionality until Apple decides to make it official do this:

Install OnMyCommand from free.abracode.com/cmworkshop.
(By copying the program file to Applications.)
Install OMCEdit from inside the OnMyCommand package (by copying the program file to Applications).
Install Shortcuts from free.abracode.com/cmworkshop.
Go to free.abracode.com/cmworkshop -> Online archive of user submitted commands -> view "File" commands by category -> 212 Cut Item(s) -> Open (Firefox gives a inappropriate error window.) Then save that text file somewhere.
Do the same with 213 Paste Item(s).
Run OMCEdit and File -> Import those two commands.
You can now ctrl click -> Cut and Paste Item(s) Finder items.
Now quit OMCEdit and run Shortcuts.
On the Setup tab start the ShortcutObserver and add it to your login startup.
On the Assign Hot Keys tab under File select Cut Item(s) and assign it Shift Command X.
Under Folder select Paste Item(s) and assign it Shift Command V (or whatever you want that doesn't conflict with other shortcuts).

Quit Shortcuts and give it a try!

Many thanks to Abracode, Knut Lorenzen and Fredrik Andersson!

or you could try Pathfinder from Path Finder 5 by Cocoatech

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I somehow missed your posts about it. Me Bad!

Want a Hen egg Doug? :D

Is it golden? :p

Or you can just purchase a copy of TotalFinder, one of the best purchases you'll ever make for your Mac, and cut, copy and paste just as you would in most other OSes.

I actually have a copy of this, but was always wary of running another file manager just because, well... it seems weird to run one when it just takes up more resources on top of Finder. I really wish they'd just enhance Finder.

@Aqua: I don't think the issue is a matter of being able to move files and not just copy them, it was the issue of using keyboard shortcuts to do so IMO. It's a different dynamic which some people prefer over the former method.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it golden? :p

I actually have a copy of this, but was always wary of running another file manager just because, well... it seems weird to run one when it just takes up more resources on top of Finder. I really wish they'd just enhance Finder.

It's not another file manager though - it grafts right on top of Finder and adds to existing window/menus and expands them. I'm not usually one to run extra bloat to supplement the deficiencies of an OS, but in this case, I make an exception. I have yet to see any downside from a resource utilization perspective.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.