L2012 Mac Mini, Max RAM question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Ok before ANYONE jumps in to get their post count up. We all know Apple states 16GB. Which is enough for me. But the reason I ask this question is from Intels website on the specification of the i7-3720QM in my MM. Which at the time of this post if the fastest CPU you can get in the Mini. But if you read off this LINK, Intel states 32GB. But it goes to state dependent on memory type.. Which to be honest is the first time I have ran across this. So what type of RAM are they referring to.. ECC or non ECC? Or the type of DIMM socket size since the Minis take laptop RAM.

Wonder if anyone else had any experience with this or knows the answer.

Thanks,
Joe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well...I certainly don't think that replying is going to do much for my post count!;)

As far as the ram. You are correct...16gig is the max for the "Late 2012" i7 Mac-Mini. As far as the max ram...and the 32gig question. I think that the limitations are also related to the logic board architecture, firmware, etc. For example...a "Late 2012" iMac with an i5 or an i7 cpu has a max ram of 32gig.

Ram for a "Late 2012" Mac-Mini is 204 pin NON-ECC 1600 MHz PC3-12800 DDR3. Ram specs can be verified via Macsales.com or Crucial.com:

Apple Mac mini Memory DDR3 / Ram upgrades for 2012 Mac mini unibody models
Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 - Late 2012 Desktop

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hey thanks Nick for the reply.

The iMac has 4 slots and at 8GB each stick you'll get 32.
The Mini just has 2 slots, so only 16. So its more the north bridge controller that will allow the addressing of 8GB or more per slot. I do believe I over looked that when I made this post during my pre caffeine moment this morning. But still Intel says the CPU can address 32 depending on the RAM type. So that still confuses me as it doesn't support ECC RAM at all. So ECC or Non ECC.. What other types are intel talking about.. LOL.. SIMM or DIMMs are the only thing I can think of and I haven't seen a SIMM in years.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMac has 4 slots and at 8GB each stick you'll get 32.
The Mini just has 2 slots, so only 16. So its more the north bridge controller that will allow the addressing of 8GB or more per slot.

When 16gig sticks of ram become available...we will have to see if the max. ram on these devices goes up (assuming they actually fit into "Late 2012" devices).

That's how it works when some Mac models exceed the max. ram that Apple recommends when these models are first released. When higher density ram modules become available...professionals & amateurs alike try installing them. Sometimes they work...and sometimes not.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And consider this: A 16 GB memory module = $$$$ (mucho dinero as we say in Texas!) ;D

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And consider this: A 16 GB memory module = $$$$ (mucho dinero as we say in Texas!) ;D

Yea no doubt. I am slapping in 16GB into my Mini this fall. Its normally about $160 USD for Crucial Mac RAM.

But thats not the question I was pondering, still trying to figure out what "other" type of RAM in Intel is talking about. Still the only thing I can think of is SIMM or DIMM, Single Inline Mem Module or Dual Inline Mem Module. SIMMs being the ones you see were the RAM chips are only on one side of the RAMs PCB, while you guessed it DIMMs have chips on both sides. :|

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But thats not the question I was pondering, still trying to figure out what "other" type of RAM in Intel is talking about. Still the only thing I can think of is SIMM or DIMM, Single Inline Mem Module or Dual Inline Mem Module. SIMMs being the ones you see were the RAM chips are only on one side of the RAMs PCB, while you guessed it DIMMs have chips on both sides. :|

I'm not really 100% I understand what you're wondering about??;) Maybe you can link us (or me)…if I'm the only one that's confused;)...to something you've been reading.:)

Regarding the SIMM vs. DIMM thought. Apple hasn't used SIMM ram in its computers since the middle-1990's (we're talking roughly 20 years). And Apple (as far as I know)…has never used SIMM ram in any Intel Mac.

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not really 100% I understand what you're wondering about??;) Maybe you can link us (or me)…if I'm the only one that's confused;)...to something you've been reading.:)

Regarding the SIMM vs. DIMM thought. Apple hasn't used SIMM ram in its computers since the middle-1990's (we're talking roughly 20 years). And Apple (as far as I know)…has never used SIMM ram in any Intel Mac.

- Nick

Here ya go Nick.. ARK | Intel® Core

Read down to Mem Specifications.
"Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)"

But yea I haven't seen a SIMM since my AMD K6 days either.. Not sure if anyone even makes them anymore.. Then again I haven't looked for one either..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here ya go Nick.. ARK | Intel® Core

Read down to Mem Specifications.

Thanks for the link...I see what you're referring to now.:)

Yes...the Intel i7 cpu may be capable of a max. of 32gig of ram...but that doesn't necessarily mean Apple has designed things to take full advantage of that spec. (logic board design, number of ram slots, firmware, etc.).

If Mac-Mini's had 4 ram slots (like iMac's)...i7 Mac-Mini's probably would have a 32gig ram max just like newer iMac's. But since Mac-Mini's only have 2 ram slots...we will have to wait & see if 16gig DIMMs will work (if anyone can afford them)!;)

I'm sure a website like OWC (macsales.com) & others...will test this as soon as 16gig DIMM's become available. Then we will know.:)

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link...I see what you're referring to now.:)

Yes...the Intel i7 cpu may be capable of a max. of 32gig of ram...but that doesn't necessarily mean Apple has designed things to take full advantage of that spec. (logic board design, number of ram slots, firmware, etc.)..........

- Nick

Well 16gigs is all I am putting in my system anyway, so doesn't really bother me any.

Just can't figure out what this other ram intel is referring to.. Thats all.. LOL :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not 'specifically' referring to the RAM in that case.
Have to remember, you are looking at a page of the specification of the chip and Intel is providing the specification of the processor, even in this case.

If you go down to the next line - 'Memory Types' - place your cursor over it and click while you have the question mark, you'll get a description of Intel's definition of 'Memory Types' related to the capabilities of the CPU.

Intel® processors come in four different types: a Single Channel, Dual Channel, Triple Channel, and Flex Mode.

Intel is actually referring to what most of us call 'Memory Modes' - who knows why Intel uses the term 'Types' in this case.
For those wanting more on these memory modes, see here.

(I think they are just combining multiple specifications into a single line in this case indicating the Memory Modes and Memory Types.)

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh thanks Bobtomay, that clears everything up.. LOL..

I had to go back to the page to look at that again. I guess that what they are referring to. I will have to look that up, but right now I am about to fall a sleep :)

Thanks again..

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.