Getting my first Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Intel i5 4GB RAM. Intel P4 w/ HT @ 3.0GHz 4GB RAM Debian GNU/Linux
I plan on getting the 13 inch base model MacBook Pro. I'd like to do some video editing (nothing major) and virtual machining. Being a heavy user of Debian (and some Windows 7 (currently Windows free now)) what should I expect out of Mac OS? Any tips on starting out?

Also, does Mac OS support NFS out of the box? I have a NFS file network going on.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The MBP should fit you fine and as a Linux user you'll be at home with the command line at least and the rest is just as robust (if not more) than any Linux distribution..

If you are going to be running VM's on your MBP, be sure you upgrade the memory to a decent amount so that things don't bog down..

I have 12 GB on my iMac and have a VM's of Linux and Windows running with 4GB each and they work great..

And yes, Mac OS definitely supports NFS out of the box, also SMB if you wanted to mount Windows shares..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Even for the lightest video production, max the memory. You'll be pulling your hair out otherwise.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Intel i5 4GB RAM. Intel P4 w/ HT @ 3.0GHz 4GB RAM Debian GNU/Linux
Thanks for the reply. I think it'll be easier to get a Mac knowing it has NFS support (unlike Windows...where you have to buy the Ultimate edition to get it working :/)

And actually I really don't use the terminal all too much. I like my GNOME and Compiz Fusion too much to use the command line haha.

I do plan to buy an 8GB kit eventually...never buying it from Apple though. What the heck, $200 for an extra 4GB?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And actually I really don't use the terminal all too much. I like my GNOME and Compiz Fusion too much to use the command line haha.

Aghast! :Grimmace: No command line usage...that's just blasphemous from a Linux user! :p

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aghast! :Grimmace: No command line usage...that's just blasphemous from a Linux user! :p

Haha. The command line has saved my butt before...it's just webpages look a little better with a GUI than it does with Links lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.