Several questions about GarageBand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Echo during videos?

I just watched two different videos on two different sites where the sound was echoed coming out of my MacBook speakers. By echo, I mean imagine adding an echo effect in GarageBand. Is this some sort of weird setting I set off?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB doesn't have a Mic port?

I tried using a little mic plugged into the jack nearst the headphone jack and it's not working. Is that not a mic port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You probably need an amplified mic. What application are you using to record from your present mic?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How to rename tracks in GarageBand

I'm trying to keep track of all my tracks in GarageBand, but I can't seem to rename them anything other than the default "No Effects":|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
Double/triple click where it says No Effects, you should get a text edit box appear :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
You need to make sure that monitoring is ticked in order to hear it back too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook 2GB RAM OS X v10.5.5
macbooks have internal mics as well. make sure you change your input from internal to line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That's a line-in port. Basically that means it'll only record signals at the level they come in at - it won't amplify them in any way. You'll either need to connect your mic to an external amplifier or buy a USB or Firewire audio interface with a built-in preamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
That's a line-in port. Basically that means it'll only record signals at the level they come in at - it won't amplify them in any way. You'll either need to connect your mic to an external amplifier or buy a USB or Firewire audio interface with a built-in preamp.

Yeah I plugged the guitar into that and it recorded the guitar to GarageBand.

Just something to chew on if you ever want to connect a bass guitar or guitar to your MB. Make sure you get the right cables though. A standard amp cable won't do ;) Radioshack should have some things to do that.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GarageBand -- condensing chorus tracks into one whole track

Let's say you have 3 components to a chorus: rhythm guitar, lead guitar, and vocal. You want these 3 components to be exactly the same during all the song's choruses. How can I combine these 3 components into one whole track? Currently I have to copy and paste each track and line them up for each chorus. I'd prefer, and it makes much more sense, to combine them into one whole track instead of a bunch of little ones that I have to mess with for each chorus section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Let's say you have 3 components to a chorus: rhythm guitar, lead guitar, and vocal. You want these 3 components to be exactly the same during all the song's choruses. How can I combine these 3 components into one whole track?
You would need to export them as a separate file, (for sake of example, let's say AIFF) and then insert that AIFF in the Master Project where applicable.
Currently I have to copy and paste each track and line them up for each chorus.
On the contrary, I find that it is smarter to do this. Keeping your Master tracks separated allows you more control over them.
When you cobble them together into one track, you lose practically all of your editing ability for future recordings or mixes that would use the same tracks.
Copying each track/region is the preferred method, and while it can be tedious at times, makes the most sense.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that's the preferred method, what's the best way to do it? I'm doing it by eye, but it seems like there should be a way to hone in on the minutes/seconds between each track.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
If you look at the transport area, click either the down/up arrow until you're showing minutes and seconds. Then you can zoom in and drag the file to wherever you please.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. What about fading in a track? I know you can Fade Out from the menu, but I can't seem to figure out fade in.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would need to export them as a separate file, (for sake of example, let's say AIFF) and then insert that AIFF in the Master Project where applicable.

What's the easiest way to do this? I'm about halfway done with the song and I'm not sure how to isolate just those chorus bits for exporting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
Select all the parts you want to join... like all the parts in the chorus' lead guitar track for example, and hit command-J.

When you want to copy and paste precisely, use the 'snap to grid' (command-G) function in the control menu. It's also best to use measures instead of time for doing this.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Upon completion of a song in Garageband, how do I get it ready per say for regular listening? For example, how do I master the song? I ask because all the track volume levels sound wonderfully mixed during playback in Garageband, but once I export to iTunes and listen on my iPod, for example, it's way too quiet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.