keep getting restart screen on ibook g4

Reaction score
i have an apple ibook g4 i think it is a 2002 model 1.07ghz model. the battery was recently bad along with the charger my dog ate. so i bought a new charger/battery plugged it in...computer turned on to a completely cracked screen! so i bought a screen/case off ebay followed instructions to a t and put the new screen on turned the computer on and it worked like a charm :D

so for a few days it worked no problem then i noticed one time the screen came on then went really dark, i coudl very faintly see the screen so i hit the power button and restart the computer it came back on with no problem. then it started doin it every once in a while.

Now the big problem. The battery died so i plugged the charger in and went to turn the computer on and a screen came on saying i need to restart the computer in english and a few different languages. I restarted and everytime it boots then does the same thing saying i need to restart it.

I searched and read about kernel panic but that seems to be only with installing new hardware/software. so im kinda stuck, i dont really wana reopen the whole computer so could ANYONE help me out a little? I dont get why it worked for a few days then stopped working all a sudden.

Please help so i dont have to take my $200 computer to the store to get charged $100 bucks to get fixed :Angry-Tongue:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please help so i dont have to take my $200 computer to the store to get charged $100 bucks to get fixed :Angry-Tongue:

Actually your computer is probably worth less than $200...and it's going to probably cost way more than $100 to fix it!

Kernel panics are usually caused by bad ram. If you didn't do anything with the ram...then the kernel panics have got to be related to all of the battery, charger, new screen/case, etc. stuff you have done recently.

Logically...if your computer was working fine before all of the hardware issues...and now you have kernel panics...something obviously has changed. My guess's would be either the:

- ram got damaged/zapped in some way during the display install (static electricity for example)
- something went wrong with the replacement display install
- the replacement display was not the exact correct part
- combination of the above

Personally...given the age of the computer...and all it's been through...maybe it's time for a new or "newer used" computer.;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Actually your computer is probably worth less than $200...and it's going to probably cost way more than $100 to fix it!

Kernel panics are usually caused by bad ram. If you didn't do anything with the ram...then the kernel panics have got to be related to all of the battery, charger, new screen/case, etc. stuff you have done recently.

Logically...if your computer was working fine before all of the hardware issues...and now you have kernel panics...something obviously has changed. My guess's would be either the:

- ram got damaged/zapped in some way during the display install (static electricity for example)
- something went wrong with the replacement display install
- the replacement display was not the exact correct part
- combination of the above

Personally...given the age of the computer...and all it's been through...maybe it's time for a new or "newer used" computer.;)

- Nick

I know its worth less than 200 i was just tryin to make myself feel better hah. I guess ill start lookin for a cheaper used computer. Dont really wana spend more than 300 but i know i want another mac. Any suggestions on where to start lookin?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.