iPhone 3G Build quality issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I upgraded to the new 3G and about 2 weeks after I got it, the screen started experiencing about 5-10 randomly placed and sometimes flickering stuck pixels. I went to my "local" apple store (about 65 miles away) and swapped it out. The guy at the genius bar got it all up and running for me, and I immediately pocketed the phone and took my girl out to dinner. I checked to see what time it was and noticed that I had a no sim card installed error I know the SIM was in there because I watched him put it in. I then got to looking closer at the phone... here was my mistake: I looked at the sim slot and it is recessed into the phone-not even with the plastic back. I then felt the edge opposite the buttons - the white plastic is not flush with the metal bezel. It actually feels like it's going to cut me if it slides in my hand.

I took it back the the apple store and showed them the error and told them that it looks like it's happening because of the suppressed SIM slot. the Concierge hard reset the phone and it got signal again and said that since it's no longer showing the error, the Genius could not help me today, and I would have to make another appointment tomorrow.

What has happened to Apple? I used to recommend their products to people, and now I'm afraid to do so.

Should they replace the phone again, or am I stuck with a poorly made phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Did you make another appointment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea why my browser just double posted, please delete this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I have pressure crack ups the ying yang on my 16GB iPhone 3G, White.
I dont live near an apple store so the next time I have a chance to take it there is thanksgiving and I doubt it will be covered

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
They need to get a hold on the quality control

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
My black one looks fine. Perhaps it's an issue with the white one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I have read about the white iphones cracking that could because the white shows the cracks better than black... I will say the build quality of the 3G is not the same as the 1st generation. No dock,plastic feels cheap...then again it was only $199.00

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have read about the white iphones cracking that could because the white shows the cracks better than black... I will say the build quality of the 3G is not the same as the 1st generation. No dock,plastic feels cheap...then again it was only $199.00

Actually, lol, the white one is $299 ;)

But i have not made another appointment yet because I guess that I can learn to deal with it. But what is you all's opinion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it broken, make them fix it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it broken, make them fix it.

Very precise, and simply put, lol... I like that :)

What what does one consider broken? I mean are the rough edges and sunken in (albeit just a little) SIM slot and a new found unflushness on the touch screen justified as broken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose some of that is subjective. The crack is definitely a problem IMO. Other build quality issues may or may not be. I have seen none of those on mine so I can't really say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
What what does one consider broken? I mean are the rough edges and sunken in (albeit just a little) SIM slot and a new found unflushness on the touch screen justified as broken?
I would ask (or show) Apple. IMO, any kind of crack that wasn't brought on by misuse should be considered a defect.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would ask (or show) Apple. IMO, any kind of crack that wasn't brought on by misuse should be considered a defect.

Actually, mine didn't have a crack... that was the other guy.

But I went today back to the apple store and told them about all of the cosmetic problems, and they gave me a shiny smooth and perfect new phone!!

Thank you Apple for being considerate on this one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.