External display & Clam Shell mode.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
New MacBook 2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb, 160 Gb HDD.

I followed Apple's KB directions on how to operate in clam shell mode with just an external display on.

Using an external keyboard and mouse - put the MacBook to sleep and hook up or turn on the external display. Bring the MacBook out of sleep by tapping the keyboard and the external display should turn on. It works as it's supposed to... however, I can open the cover on the MacBook and the internal display remains off with just the external on. Is it supposed to work this way?

I haven't noticed any difference in CPU temps with the cover open or closed. Temp runs around 46 to 51 C with the fan at around 1800 RPM.

BTW, nice feature is the automatic adjustment of resolution when going from internal to external.

Regards.

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info, I plan to do this with my macbook, if it ever arrives!!!!

Reaction score
New MacBook 2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb, 160 Gb HDD.

Using an external keyboard and mouse - put the MacBook to sleep and hook up or turn on the external display. Bring the MacBook out of sleep by tapping the keyboard and the external display should turn on. It works as it's supposed to... however, I can open the cover on the MacBook and the internal display remains off with just the external on. Is it supposed to work this way?

Yes, that's the way it works. To make the MB display work again, put it in sleep mode and disconnect the plug to the external display, then open up the MB. Then it wakes up properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you want both screens on at once and the external is already on, you have to put the computer to sleep, then open the lid. The display on the Macbook won't work if you try to activate it after the external display is already on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you want both screens on at once and the external is already on, you have to put the computer to sleep, then open the lid. The display on the Macbook won't work if you try to activate it after the external display is already on.

I can't tell exactly if you're saying the same thing, but here is how I do it.
Whenever I want to switch back to my MBP screen after watching .com shows with it connected to my tv, I open the lid first then turn the television off. After a couple of seconds the Mac recognizes there is no external display any longer and everything comes back up on the MBP screen. If you did this with a monitor, once the Mac screen "comes to life", just turn the monitor back on and both will be visible. :)

EDIT: OMG! Look at my # of posts!!! :Evil: Mwa-hahahaha!!!

Reaction score
hi!
i connected an external Samsung SyncMaster 960bg to my macbook while on windows.xp, and i was working on both displays. than i had to restart on bootcamp to go back to mac.os but i left my external display plugged in, and when i switched to mac.os it was working only on my external display. and now i cant go back to macbook internal display. i tried everything mentioned here, but when i put my macbook to sleep, disconnect the external display, than open the lid, its just a black screen and nothing is happening, so i have to plug in the external display again to actually see anything... i also tried to restart it when it is not connected to the external, but then i see only the start up grey background on my macbook, and then everything goes black, so i have to plug in the external again to see what i'm doing. please help, i have no idea what to do :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
hi!
i connected an external Samsung SyncMaster 960bg to my macbook while on windows.xp, and i was working on both displays. than i had to restart on bootcamp to go back to mac.os but i left my external display plugged in, and when i switched to mac.os it was working only on my external display. and now i cant go back to macbook internal display. i tried everything mentioned here, but when i put my macbook to sleep, disconnect the external display, than open the lid, its just a black screen and nothing is happening, so i have to plug in the external display again to actually see anything... i also tried to restart it when it is not connected to the external, but then i see only the start up grey background on my macbook, and then everything goes black, so i have to plug in the external again to see what i'm doing. please help, i have no idea what to do :(

1. Make sure the MB is plugged in to the wall.
2. Set the sleep mode to not go to sleep (for good measure).
3. Check the "Mirror Display" box in System Preferences>Displays.
4. Open the lid to your MacBook.
5. Disconnect the external display.
6. Wait 2 or 3 seconds and the MacBook screen "should" come back.

Post back with results. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.