MP3 Tagging Application Advice?

Reaction score
Well for some reason, iTunes DOESN'T keep my tag's for my MP3's - Such as, if i change the album art or the album name or song name, etc. - Everything looks good, but when i decide to clear all the songs and them re-add my music folder - All the tags are back to what they were before i changed them

I have tired MANY different applications, but none are very good thus far - Any advice? I'm currently using, MP3 ID3X, but i have tired jaikoz, and a bunch others that have really just sucked - on my windows comp i used MusicMatch, which was absolutely incredible i just wish it was available for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What is the source of the files you are trying to tag? I have had this issue in the past and my solution has been to allow iTunes to take the existing files and reconvert them to MP3 format then dump the originals. After that, the ID3 info sticks.

OP
M
Reaction score
What is the source of the files you are trying to tag? I have had this issue in the past and my solution has been to allow iTunes to take the existing files and reconvert them to MP3 format then dump the originals. After that, the ID3 info sticks.

The files are MP3's... is that what you're asking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Why are you clearing all your songs and then retagging them, just wanted clarification

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The files are MP3's... is that what you're asking?

No. My question was, where did the files come from? Did you rip them yourself? Were they "obtained" on-line?

It doesn't matter what the format is, allow iTunes to convert them to MP3 again and odds are your problem will stop. I have had this happen with files that I have "obtained" from other sources and not my own rips.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well most of these have been obtained - how do i have iTunes convert them?

OP
M
Reaction score
Why are you clearing all your songs and then retagging them, just wanted clarification

It's not all my songs, and i'm not really clearing them, just cleaning up many of them - adding better, larger, clearer album artwork is the main thing right now - i really like having my music library as perfect as i can make it

OP
M
Reaction score

Well i tried reconverting some of them to MP3 format using iTunes, but they are only converted in iTunes, how were you able to change the files themselves and dump the originals?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i tried reconverting some of them to MP3 format using iTunes, but they are only converted in iTunes, how were you able to change the files themselves and dump the originals?

When you reconvert them, iTunes creates a new file on your HDD. Right click on the new file and find it's location, it will be inside the iTunes Library folder. If you highlight the old song in iTunes and hit "Delete" it should ask you if you want to delete or keep the original file. Select Delete and it will move it to the trash and remove it from your Library (if it doesn't just right click and select "Show in Finder" and it will take you to the song file itself, just move it to the trash). Now add the appropriate info to the new file via iTunes and you should be good to go.

OP
M
Reaction score
When you reconvert them, iTunes creates a new file on your HDD. Right click on the new file and find it's location, it will be inside the iTunes Library folder. If you highlight the old song in iTunes and hit "Delete" it should ask you if you want to delete or keep the original file. Select Delete and it will move it to the trash and remove it from your Library (if it doesn't just right click and select "Show in Finder" and it will take you to the song file itself, just move it to the trash). Now add the appropriate info to the new file via iTunes and you should be good to go.

Although that did seem to work - i ran into another problem now - when i convert the tracks - the name of the file changes, for example if i i changed, the band, "Boston" and the song, "More Then a Feeling," the file changes to 01 More Then a Feeling" and the band name Boston, is gone... anything?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The mac version isn't out yet. It says it's suppose to be out this fall and you need to give them your name and e-mail so they can tell you when it's up for download.

OP
M
Reaction score
That program doesn't seem all that great - to be honest, i like doing these things myself - that way, i know for a fact it's being done correctly - i hate how itunes won't allow me to do this, 99.9% of people do not get their music ONLY for iTunes, but apple, of course, doesn't like that and you must go their way and convert your MP3 to their MP3 and then you can fix the tags, it's ridiculous

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although that did seem to work - i ran into another problem now - when i convert the tracks - the name of the file changes, for example if i i changed, the band, "Boston" and the song, "More Then a Feeling," the file changes to 01 More Then a Feeling" and the band name Boston, is gone... anything?

That, unfortunately, is a limitation of how iTunes names the files as it converts them. You can deselect it adding the number in iTunes prefs, but that is about it.

For batch renaming of files and other metadata mass tagging, I use MediaRagePro. Not free, but worth it. MP3Rage is also good.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - so far it has definitely helped, but wow, windows is SO much easier in this respect, it's like night and day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How is Windows itself easier, or are you referring to software availability?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You can modify MP3 metadata in windows explorer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes sense then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
The mac version isn't out yet. It says it's suppose to be out this fall and you need to give them your name and e-mail so they can tell you when it's up for download.
I just noticed that... I am astounded. That program was amazing!! Ugh... now wth am i going to use

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.