iPad and wireless keyboard won't pair

Reaction score
My wireless keyboard does not appear as a device on my new iPad, do I have to unpair it from my iMac for it to be recognised?
I was advised to disable bluetooth but my mac won't allow this as I won't be able to control it if I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You have to unpair it from the mac, even if the mac is switched off

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Actually, not necessary to unpair (at least with the Apple Wireless Keyboard) as long as the keyboard isn't within range of the iMac.
I use my Apple wireless keyboard on both, but only connect to my iPad with it when traveling.

OP
Gren
Reaction score
Actually, not necessary to unpair (at least with the Apple Wireless Keyboard) as long as the keyboard isn't within range of the iMac.
I use my Apple wireless keyboard on both, but only connect to my iPad with it when traveling.

Thanks, I tried switching off the mac and the keyboard then switching the keyboard on but it still doesn't appear as a device in the Bluetooth menu on the ipad.
I guess I'll stick to the onscreen keyboard.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try turning off the keyboard while the iMac is off, then turning the keyboard back on.

EDIT: Just reread your post and saw that you had tried it already.

Haven't a clue why it doesn't work . . . Works fine on mine. I use my keyboard on both my Mac Mini and my iPad without issue

EDIT2: I am typing this on my wieless keyboard, connected to my iPad2 via Bluetooth. I tried connecting to it while the Mini was on (right next to my chair) but wouldnt even though the iPad saw both the keyboard and Mini. I then shutdown the Mini and the iPad connected without issue. No paring or unpairing required.

EDIT3: I turned off Bluetooth on my iPad and restarted the Mac Mini and the keyboard reconnected automatically. Didn't have to turn it off and on again.

Maybe hardware or OS differences? I'm running IOS 5 on an iPad2, 10.7 on a Mac Mini (2009 model) and using an Apple Wireless Keyboard.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What wireless keyboard do you have? It's very possible that it isn't supported by the iPad. We've been working on the assumption that you have an Apple wireless keyboard.

OP
Gren
Reaction score
What wireless keyboard do you have? It's very possible that it isn't supported by the iPad. We've been working on the assumption that you have an Apple wireless keyboard.

Correct, an apple wireless keyboard, one year old.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try unplugging the iMac after shutting it down. If that doesn't work I suggest carrying keyboard and iPad to a distant location and pairing them there.

OP
Gren
Reaction score
Try unplugging the iMac after shutting it down. If that doesn't work I suggest carrying keyboard and iPad to a distant location and pairing them there.

Tried unplugging to no avail, not sure how far is a distant location but thanks for your help anyway.

I wonder why this is such an inexact science.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To help you out, the range for Bluetooth devices is about 10 metres so find somewhere about that far for the purposes of testing.

Razor brings up a good point - what model of iPad are you using and what OS version?

OP
Gren
Reaction score
To help you out, the range for Bluetooth devices is about 10 metres so find somewhere about that far for the purposes of testing.

Razor brings up a good point - what model of iPad are you using and what OS version?

A brand new 3rd gen 64 gb iPad and OS X 10.7.4 on the mac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very strange!

If I turn on Bluetooth on my iPad in a public location I see tons of Bluetooth devices. Very odd you can't even see your keyboard.
Might be worth a trip to the Apple Store if there is one nearby.

OP
Gren
Reaction score
Very strange!

If I turn on Bluetooth on my iPad in a public location I see tons of Bluetooth devices. Very odd you can't even see your keyboard.
Might be worth a trip to the Apple Store if there is one nearby.

Thanks, I have an introductory workshop booked for next week at my local store. I'll ask them.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know what they say . . . curious now. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.