Thinking of upgrading to an iPhone. Need some advice!

Reaction score
Just for some back ground information, I am an existing ATT customer who uses a basic samsung slider phone mainly for calls and text messaging. I have unlimited SMS and a call plan similar to ATT basic $59.99 iPhone plan. I also have an iPod Touch that I (obviously) listen to music with and occasionally use the internet with.

The problem I have is that the "select" and "call/send" buttons don't work, so I now can't make calls or delete messages. This makes my memory full and then unable to receive new text messages, photos, and voicemail in some cases. My warranty has run out, so I can't get the phone replaced. I would have to buy a whole new phone, without a 2 year contract deduction as my current contract expires in about 2 months. The cheapest phone I could get right now would be at least $200 from ATT. And I'm not prepared to switch to another carrier because my family and friends use ATT so calls between them is free.

For a while, I've been thinking the iPhone could be a very cool thing to have. I was planning on upgrading to a new phone with cool features for college next year, but not until this summer. But given my current situation in which I literally cannot do anything with my current phone and need to spend at least $200 on a new one, then I thought maybe I could get an iPhone now. I still have some questions and concerns though. I would deeply appreciate it if people could read the list below and provide answers!

1.) Does it make any sense to upgrade to an iPhone in the location of where I will attend college? I'll be going to another state for my college education, but I kind of want to keep my current cell number on iPhone. Still, my friend was saying I should wait until I'm in my college city/town before I upgrade. I don't see why...I mean, calls from, say, MN to family and friends in WA or AZ won't cost extra, right???

2.) Though my name is signed to my dad's ATT account, he still pays my cell bill (I pay half.) When I activate my iPhone as an existing ATT customer, all of the billing information would remain the same, right?

3.) I use my touch in the car and at home basically, and take my phone everywhere with me. One thing that concerns me about iPhone is that while having two key technologies in one device is cool, how will battery fare? The iPhone boasts 24 hour music playback and 8 hours of call time, but those numbers become skewed when doing the two things at the same time. What are your guys' experience with the battery?

4.) 3G....Honestly, what does it mean? It apparently just provides faster internet browsing when not in a Wi-Fi area. That costs money though, right? If so, then I won't be browsing outside of a Wi-Fi area. The iPhone cell plan is expensive as it is, and I'm looking at a $75 monthly bill in comparison to my current $60 one. Is waiting for 3G worth it (even though I can't really wait anyway?)

5.) Another strange concern I have is the "longevity" of the iPhone. I would be buying this as a device that replaces my cell phone and iPod. Being in college, I imagine I will be making a lot calls. But what if, down the line, I choose to get a different phone. One that's not an iPhone. That would mean spending approx. $200 on a new phone and approx. $300 on a new iPod. I guess what I'm asking is, is the iPhone an impressive enough device that is reliable and "cool" enough to the point where I won't want to revert back to two devices? Are there any huge cosmetic or technical upgrades (beside 3G) coming to iPhone soon?

6.) I like the Ringtones feature of the iPhone, but I still don't know how it works...Can I make a ringtone out of a song in my already uploaded/bought music library? Or do I actually have to buy one off iTunes? Let's say there's a ringtone I want available on iTunes for .99 and then the song for .99, but that I already have the song in my library. Would I still have to pay $2 to buy the song "again" and then the ringtone?

7.) Should I decide to get an iPhone, what is a good, reliable case? I prefer silicon cases to hard shells.

8.) Can my Apple Care warranty plan that is on my iPod Touch extend to my iPhone? I plan on selling the touch on craigslist. Or, can I trade in the iPod Touch for a certain amount off the iPhone? How does that all work?

9.) Ok, last one...Do you have an iPhone? Are you pleased with your device?

Thanks for reading. I know it's a lot, but I would really appreciate it if you guys read them and gave some replies.

-Oni.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
1-You can keep your current phone number iTunes make it very easy when setting up your new iPhone. Yeah call should not cost extra if there on the same network. Im not sure if it cost more i think call of long distance are included in the nation talk minutes.

2-Correct.

3-Um one thing why would you want to be on the phone and ipod at the same time? Honestly the battery has disappointed me I text constantly probably anywhere from 100-300 messages a day. But it kills the battery i need to charge it every night, unlike my previous phone which i could use for 3 days without having to charge it. But it is decent for such a sophisticated smart phone.

4-3g does provide faster browsing in edge. You mentioned that you are going off to college soon um Most colleges have wifi all over there campus so i don't really think that you would benefit that much from 3g .
Given your current situation I think its what ever you want to do.
Um side note i think you can expect the 3g to be available either in june or in the months following.

5-Um yes there is a major software update coming in june iPhone 2.0 firmware. apple will be selling 3rd party apps thru iTunes this has been the long awaited update. And yes i think you will not want to switch back.
Although you might want to keep your iPod the iPhone memory is kinda of small.

6-Ok so not all songs have the capability to become a ringtone. But if you own a song that does you can create a ringtone form any part of the song, the time of the ringtone can be anywhere from 0-30 seconds.

7-um incase makes very good cases I think i have had to case through them. Currently Im using a white hard shell incase(love it). I have found with silicone cases the iphone seems to get sweaty(yeah weird I know).

8-The apple care will not transfer. If the iPod is out of the box and past the return date you wont get anything off :( sorry (Im looking for a new ipod!!)

9-Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Im so pleased on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 26.

Feel free to give me good reputation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
1.) Does it make any sense to upgrade to an iPhone in the location of where I will attend college?

No.
2.) Though my name is signed to my dad's ATT account, he still pays my cell bill (I pay half.) When I activate my iPhone as an existing ATT customer, all of the billing information would remain the same, right?
Yes
3.) What are your guys' experience with the battery? I use my touch in the car and at home basically

If you're listening at home or in the car, you can charge while listening.
Here's a scenario for you: Yesterday I listened to about 3 hours of music on my iPhone (on my commute to uni and on my way to town for a night out), picked up all my emails throughout the day, looked up 3 bars over GPRS using Maps and read blogs for half an hour on the bus home. I also made 3 short phone calls and sent 5 or 6 text messages.

The battery level was still green, but I'd say almost down to about 15%. But considering how much I used it, I think that's fair enough. You can usually charge it overnight anyway, so I think you'd be hard pushed to run it dry on a typical day.

4.) 3G....Honestly, what does it mean? It apparently just provides faster internet browsing when not in a Wi-Fi area.
Yes
That costs money though, right?
No. Unlimited EDGE internet access is included in the plan.
...what if, down the line, I choose to get a different phone. One that's not an iPhone. That would mean spending approx. $200 on a new phone and approx. $300 on a new iPod.
I'd imagine any new phone you get in a year or two will also be able to double as your iPod. I'd imagine Apple will have more or less phased out non-touch iPods by then anyway...
I guess what I'm asking is, is the iPhone an impressive enough device that is reliable and "cool" enough to the point where I won't want to revert back to two devices?
IMO - yes. They are two devices that most people carry constantly and once you have a device that does both this well, you don't want to go back to carrying two.
6.) I like the Ringtones feature of the iPhone, but I still don't know how it works...
Garageband can turn any non-drm song in your library into a ringtone. Search the forums for a how-to.
7.) Should I decide to get an iPhone, what is a good, reliable case? I prefer silicon cases to hard shells.
I like the Artwizz Seejackt (my review), but then again I dislike silicone cases :)
8.) Can my Apple Care warranty plan that is on my iPod Touch extend to my iPhone? I plan on selling the touch on craigslist. Or, can I trade in the iPod Touch for a certain amount off the iPhone? How does that all work?
As far as I know - no.
9.) Ok, last one...Do you have an iPhone?
Yes.
Are you pleased with your device?
Yes, very.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.