what exactly can i do with an ipad

Reaction score
sorry for the question which may be quite studip.
i have not been following the mac evolution lately and only now i found out the ipad... unfortunately i haven't really yet understood what it is.

now the explanation could be a little too long so i just tell what i would like to know.

1. can i run adobe illustrator (version cs 11.0.0) and photoshop (cs 8.0.1) on the ipad?

2. i have an i book g4 (with os 10.5.8, with usb2 and airport) which works fine except for the display which has some problems. i am thinking to buy an external display and i was wondering if i could use the ipad as external display for the iBook.

thanks to all

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
1. No you can't run Illustrator or Photoshop on the iPad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The IPad runs IOS. Adobe products at this time like Crimson said, do not run on the iPad and IOS.

Also no, it's a Tablet and self contained. You can not use the display for your iBook. Not that I know of!

C

chas_m

The IPad runs IOS. Adobe products at this time like Crimson said, do not run on the iPad and IOS.

This is incorrect. The specific products the OP mentioned don't run, of course, but Adobe does indeed make several apps for the iPad, including Photoshop Express (which is nothing at all like Photoshop, but is kinda like Photoshop Elements sorta kinda).

Also no, it's a Tablet and self contained. You can not use the display for your iBook. Not that I know of!

The expression "there's an app for that" comes to mind. You can indeed accomplish this with third-party help, BUT not with an antiquated machine like an iBook G4.

C

chas_m

sorry for the question which may be quite studip.
i have not been following the mac evolution lately and only now i found out the ipad... unfortunately i haven't really yet understood what it is.

This would be a long explanation, but here's the shortest explanation I can come up with:

An iPad is a supplemental device designed primarily to handle "light" and entertainment-oriented computer tasks using a more naturalistic interface than a traditional computer. It's lack of file system, touch-based interface and modest resolution on a high-quality screen make it a highly portable device that is pleasurable to use in a variety of not-sitting-at-a-desk type positions. It can handle a huge variety of things, but is MOSTLY used for what I call "casual computing and media consumption": this includes things like checking websites and email, voice and video chatting, watching movies or tv shows or web videos, reading e-books and of course playing games.

Being lighter than most portable computers, it's easy to take with you (and features a very long-lasting battery). Having a larger screen than an iPhone, it's easier to share pictures, videos and other discoveries with nearby friends or colleagues. Using a touch interface overcomes the barriers that prevent many people from mastering "regular" computers and people feel naturally more confident using an iPad compared to other devices.

The best possible way to discover if it might be right for your needs is to visit a store that has one and play around with it for a while. You won't need a manual or much-if-any handholding; it's a very "dive right in" sort of device.

For those who are highly comfortable and immersed in traditional computing experiences, getting to grips with a more curated user interface may take some getting used to; for most people, who never really mastered the rituals of modern computing, it feels more like what the way they have always wanted technology to behave.

Oh dear, that got to be long anyway didn't it?? :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, Interesting on the Photoshop Express. Not seen that so thanks. Like you said, doubt it's anything like the true Photoshop, but interesting anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Although there isn't true Photoshop, or any of the Adobe Apps, there are plenty of add-on apps. I picked up Eazel on sale, but there are several Adobe apps that let you interact with photoshop.
Adobe Photoshop iPad Apps Arrive | PCWorld

Also - if you believe that the iPad is a toy - watch Kyle Lambert use it to make some incredible drawings.
YouTube - ‪kylelambertportfolio's Channel‬‏

I like Chas' summary - the iPad is a supplemental device. I'd like to foil what Chas says by comparing it to what a pundit had to say about the iPad.
Tim Acheson's Blog : Prediction: Microsoft will dominate the tablet market
TL ; DR - Windows will come back and win the tablet market because everyone that is a "computerati" wants a full computer all the time.

FTA
Let me make another obvious prediction. The iPad can never replace people's laptops and PCs, or even make much of an impact in these markets, because it simply does not even begin to have the same capabilities -- not even close.
This is the key to understanding where the iPad sits. It is not a Laptop replacement, nor was it ever designed to be a laptop replacement. But if you sit and think about how you use your laptop - you may come to this conclusion (one that I came to) - I don't need a full laptop for 80% of my computing. I am an outlier as I need a full computer to do my work (selling software that designs integrated circuits) 80% may be low for the majority of people - If you only deal with Office, Web, Email - then it could be closer to 90% to 95% except for that one thing - like high end spreadsheets, database, high end graphics/photography/video stuff like that. I would also contend if you were doing that high end stuff, you'd want to be at your desk with the proper tools around you to do it.

Where the iPad excels, is the ability to get the majority of day to day computer tasks done, in an easy to carry form factor, easy to use anywhere, without having to worry about battery life.

C

chas_m

I think Steve Jobs himself hit on the same point you refer to, Ivan, when he said that computers are trucks, and trucks are great -- but most of the time you don't actually need a truck, a sports car would do the job, and the iPad is a sports car. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
Touch interface is OK and takes me away from my desktop monitor, to the sofa. Books are best. Found thousands of epub books for nothing, many already read, and some not to my taste, but the rest are spot-on, and I won't finish them in my lifetime...

I wish my previously created Keynote presentations (on Mac) could port to paddy, so I could pass it around to view on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I was thinking comparing the iPad to a Bike vs a Computer like a Car - but a Truck is a good analogy too. You can use it for all kinds of stuff but really, you drive to and from work and pick up groceries most of the time - all you really need is a moped for day to day...

To add to Chas' second post - there are several sharing software bits too - as long as everyone has an iPad...
Idea flight - free but if you want to "pilot" you pay a 1 time $8 fee.
Idea Flight for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Webex - pretty much standard web meeting
WebEx for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Supershare - transfer files between iPads
SuperShare for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

But you could also print Keynote to PDF and view it with the myriad of viewers out there as well - but I would first get Keynote for iPad as suggested - it does a pretty good job of viewing/editing slides from both Powerpoint and Keynote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
I figured some real world usage examples might be interesting. Here's what I typical do on ours - varies a little day-to-day, but I bet I hit all these things up weekly.

Email
Research/Reference (Wiki, IMDB)
Web (usually messageboards)
Secure connection using the Cisco client to manage some infrastructure
Writing documents (at least initial drafts), shared using DropBox
Watching movies (Netflix, iTunes) at my desk or for the little one when we're out
Playing a few games
Reading books (Kindle)
News feeds/tech journals
Remoting to a media server to manage downloads

It's better than moving around a notebook, has incredible battery life (it's basically always ready to use), and provides a really natural interface experience. It's great because I take it out on the deck, or in the garage, so I always have my communication device handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.