Confused over booting from external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Following the death of my Freecom external drive I've been looking for an alternative. I'd almost settled on Seagate goFlex Desktop drives - a 2TB for Time Machine backups and a 1TB (or another 2TB) for Carbon Copy Clone backups with the intention of being able to boot from the latter should my iMac fail. (Both of these drives are on a mega offer at Amazon right now)

However, I've just been told by Seagate that I cannot boot from their drives. Are they correct or misinformed?

As an aside, I note that Seagate produce a mac specific version of their GoFlex Desk external drive (Aluminium colour not black), but this does not appear to be available in the UK - has anyone bought one of these in the UK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
All I know is that I buy my self a standard Samsung USB drive 2 TB .
Formatted in 2 partitions using the diskutility of MAC one for the system and one for my data .
And yes I can boot from from USB drive by holding down the Option key before the booting is starting until the options come up
Coloning was done Carbon cloner

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Following the death of my Freecom external drive I've been looking for an alternative. I'd almost settled on Seagate goFlex Desktop drives - a 2TB for Time Machine backups and a 1TB (or another 2TB) for Carbon Copy Clone backups with the intention of being able to boot from the latter should my iMac fail. (Both of these drives are on a mega offer at Amazon right now)

However, I've just been told by Seagate that I cannot boot from their drives. Are they correct or misinformed?

As an aside, I note that Seagate produce a mac specific version of their GoFlex Desk external drive (Aluminium colour not black), but this does not appear to be available in the UK - has anyone bought one of these in the UK?

I have bought both the Mac specific and windows version and once you reformat the Windows version I see no difference between them. (FWIW I reformatted the Mac version too so I could enable Filevault2).
Never tried booting from one, and not sure I believe you couldn't. But, you'll have to get a recommendation on that from someone else.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
All I know is that I buy my self a standard Samsung USB drive 2 TB .
Formatted in 2 partitions using the diskutility of MAC one for the system and one for my data .
And yes I can boot from from USB drive by holding down the Option key before the booting is starting until the options come up
Coloning was done Carbon cloner

Thanks for this. Having had one drive go down, I don't want to put my faith into just one drive hence my idea of getting two.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have bought both the Mac specific and windows version and once you reformat the Windows version I see no difference between them.

Usual one is black, mac version is silver - at least on the Seagae site that I'm looking at.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for this. Having had one drive go down, I don't want to put my faith into just one drive hence my idea of getting two.
Agree, I currently have four of them.
Usual one is black, mac version is silver - at least on the Seagae site that I'm looking at.
Colors are not specific to the version (at least I think not) I have silver, black and blue. Will have to go back and check which were originally Mac versions (at least one was silver, so you may be right).

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree, I currently have four of them.

Colors are not specific to the version (at least I think not) I have silver, black and blue. Will have to go back and check which were originally Mac versions (at least one was silver, so you may be right).

I think we're talking about differnt machines. I think you may have one of these...
Portable hard drive | USB hard Drive | FreeAgent | GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive | Seagate

or similar

I was talking about these...
Desktop hard drive | External Desktop hard drives | FreeAgent | GoFlex Desk | Seagate

and specifically this one...
STBC2000100 | Seagate

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hadn't really looked at these as I wanted a larger drive, but the price here in UK (less than £50) makes me want to investigate further...

So how did your quest end (or has it yet)?

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So how did your quest end (or has it yet)?

Have bee nwithout internet for 3 days, just back up so quest continues when I've caught up...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It (Iomega eGo Desktop Hard Drive (Mac Edition,2TB): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) arrived and at a bargain price from Amazon, just £108. Neat little unit and a full 2TB free space showing - no bloatware at all although varions software can be downloaded from their site. My next question is about whether to configure this as just one partition or two for CCC and Time Machine so I'm just about to read up the FAQs on that one..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How are you liking the drive?

I put one in my Amazon shopping cart and am tempted to buy one both as a fixed extension drive for my Mac Mini and as a FireWire Hub.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far so good. It is recognised instantly I switch it on - even if mac is running, which the Freecom never did. There is a slight hum when the disk is spinning but then it is sat right in front of me next to my imac stand. Connected via the FireWire800 that came with it (it also came with FW400 and USB) and is very fast, so no complaints there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.