New iMac and new to Mac

Reaction score
These may sound like stupid questions, but here goes.

Being new to Mac many of the icons and functions are strange to me. Like, why the "delete" button backspaces!

The "preview" icon, what is it's function and how is it used?

Can I place icons on desktop rather than using the dock?

I saw a demo where they had three windows opened at on time. They appeared as miniature sized windows and you could navigate between the three. How did they do that?

Yep Mac is brand new to me, sure wish I had made the switch years ago.

Thanks.

Reaction score

Being new to Mac many of the icons and functions are strange to me. Like, why the "delete" button backspaces!

I saw a demo where they had three windows opened at on time. They appeared as miniature sized windows and you could navigate between the three. How did they do that?

Yep Mac is brand new to me, sure wish I had made the switch years ago.

Welcome to the world of Macs. Which iMac did you get? The cursor moving backwards was something that threw me for a loop the first time also. When I asked my computer teacher (college course I was taking at the time, he was a big Mac fan) his answer was, "It is a Mac not a Windows PC". As far as taking icons from the dock and putting them directly on the desktop, you can click and drag the actual program from the "application folder". If you drag same from the dock, you just delete the shortcut from the dock. I believe, the three windows at once is "Expose". To open multiple web pages press "command and the letter N". This will open another internet window. Again, something else different them Windows (as compared to just clicking the IE icon and it will open a new window).

Switching to the Mac experience back in 2009 for the first time, was a good thing for me also. It made me feel excited using a computer again. I just got burned out with the whole Windows experience. I just couldn't get past how easy it was to use OS X and best of all no freeze ups of shutdowns like Windows (the nightmares of Windows ME still have me mad). Hopefully, some of this helped (still very much a Mac beginner myself). Please PM me if you have any other questions. Have a great day and may God bless.

Ed:)

OP
T
Reaction score
ronin67: Thanks for such a speedy reply. I got the iMac 21.5" with the i5. Pretty basic, but suits my needs.

I just got tired of Windows and MicroSoft, if it wasn't one thing, it was another. I has so much AV/Malware/Firewall stuff running it was unreal.

Sadly, all the software I own is not Mac compatible, but on the brighter side, I'm retired and I no longer have the need to create presentations, data bases or spreadsheets. Looks like I will need to get iWork or at least pages and numbers.

I have an iPad as well and love both platforms. A little silly to me that iPad apps don't work on a Mac and Mac apps don't work on the iPad.

I will say that setting up the Mac was so easy, my wife even commented that all must be going good. I asked why and she said "you haven't cussed yet."

As for the three windows, they weren't web pages, they were applications. I can't remember which they were, one for sure was iPhoto, maybe iTunes, and mail. Just not sure.

Again thanks for the feedback and the blessings!

sj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

That's an application. Some files like pdfs and images automatically open with Preview until you install some other application that you prefer. Personally, I'd drag it off the Dock. there's no good need to keep it there. It'll launch automatically when you open something that uses it.

You *can*, but it's a lousy way to organize your files. The Dock is more accessible, and will show anything running but otherwise doesn't normally sit there. If you get used to Spotlight (CMD-Spacebar), you can quickly launch an app by typing its name. Or any file for that matter. If you really want "icons" on your desktop, at the least be sure that you don't save applications there. Make aliases, by right-clicking and select "Make Alias" in the menu. An alias is the same thing as a shortcut in Windows.

Using Exposé. It's the F3 button by default.

A couple other things to remember… closing an application's window doesn't always Quit it. Use the keys CMD-Q or use the menu item to actually quit it entirely. OS X does it this way to keep a program running in the background until you are really really done with it, rather than constantly opening/quitting when working with documents one after another.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi tawcat

I know what you mean about multiple windows.

For example, open Safari by clicking on it (almost certainly in the Dock) and then open iPhoto and, say Mail or iTunes.

By default, the last opened is the one you see; but if you press F9 you will see miniatures of all these windows. Just click on any one of them to bring it to the front. Do this as often as you wish.

Another little trick is press & hold Cmd, then press the Tab key. This shows you every application you have currently open. Whilst holding down the Cmd key, you can toggle between the applications. Also, whilst still holding down the Cmd key, hold down the letter Q. This will quit all the applications one by one.

The Preview thing: if you highlight any file or image or PDF etc and the touch the Space Bar, it opens a preview of the file or whatever. You can even scroll through page after page whilst in preview. Hit the Space Bar again, and it closes. Neat.

By the way, there are no stupid questions. Everyone knows something and everyone is ignorant of many things. This forum is to disseminate knowledge.

Good luck.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks to all. How wonderful to have a one reference resource.

I've got a lot to learn not only about Mac, but all these nifty wireless toys!!!!! And it all runs so smoothly:)

Next purchase will be a Mac Book Air for the wife!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Click on my signature below (Find Out How), and go through all the video tutorials there.... very informative and easy to follow. Enjoy :)

Reaction score
Just got my first iMac today too! Haven't had much time to play around with it. Got the 27in lower model. Is the version of garage band that comes on it the full version?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. When you purchase a new Mac it ships with the iLife suite pre installed. That means that iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iTunes are already there. Unlike on the PC these are full versions of the programs not time/feature crippled demos.

There's quite a bit of good software pre-installed on the Mac. Not to blow my own horn but you might want to follow the link in my signature. It's a great magazine. When you get there do a quick search for my name. You'll find several articles recently about the software and features included with the Mac. While you're there the rest of the staff writes some interesting things as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks slydude.

Proof2006, I believe SlyDude answered your question. Congrats on your new purchase.

Reaction score
Yes. When you purchase a new Mac they ships with the iLife suite pre installed. That means that iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iTunes are already there. Unlike on the PC these are full versions of the programs not time/feature crippled demos.

There's quite a bit of good software pre-installed on the Mac. Not to blow my own horn but you might want to follow the link in my signature. It's a great magazine. When you get there do a quick search for my name. You'll find several articles recently about the software and features included with the Mac. While you're there the rest of the staff writes some interesting things as well.

Thanks. Much different than windows where you get a bunch of crapware that you need to delete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 256GB SSD, 16GB Ram
Congratulations on your iMac.

I too miss having the "backspace" key to delete my text.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.