• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This post is especially for McYukon

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just wanted you to know we are expecting 2 to 5 inches of snow tonight and the schools and local business have already begun to announce closings. FWIW the roads are completely dry at this moment, and no snow anywhere to bee seen.

You northerly located brethren (and sistren) cannot believe the consternation 2 inches of snow on the roads causes down here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Lol, at 2 inches most everybody is still driving, except the Smart Car owners :D
The greatest hazard we have when the roads are snow covered are large highway trucks which are constantly shuttling supplies/fuel to the outer communities, they pull a snow cloud so thick you can't see through it, making you completely blind for about 30 seconds when they drive by.

The only time I know off that schools and businesses close is when the thermometer hits -40 ºC and lower and the cars refuse to start, can't say that I've ever seem the schools close because of the snow.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have seen the schools close for three days as a result of a six inch snow fall. Different world down here.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have seen the schools close for three days as a result of a six inch snow fall. Different world down here.

That's pretty crazy. I don't think I've ever had more than 2 consecutive snow days before. >_<"

Sucks for the kids because they are going to have to make those days up. >_>" If they miss a lot of days.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went in to work this morning expecting to be there through lunch since snow hadn't started hitting the ground yet but only made it two hours before deciding to head home. Even so road conditions went south very quickly. I ended up broadside in two intersections trying to stop even though I wasn't going that fast.
Anyway, I'm home and Arkansas will be closed for business for the next two days for all practical purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
2-6 inches here means that everyone gets in their car and drives to the mountains. I-70 becomes a parking lot but the upside is if you actually make it you probably have 10 inches of fresh powder.

The amazing thing here is how dry it is. If you shovel, and the sun shines - the pavement is generally dry - so there may still be 6-8 inches on the ground but the pavement is completely dry - even if the temps are low.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2-6 inches here means that everyone gets in their car and drives to the mountains. I-70 becomes a parking lot but the upside is if you actually make it you probably have 10 inches of fresh powder.

The amazing thing here is how dry it is. If you shovel, and the sun shines - the pavement is generally dry - so there may still be 6-8 inches on the ground but the pavement is completely dry - even if the temps are low.

I used to be a ski bum, now I'm just a bum. ;)
It's amazing the difference in viewpoint now. When I lived in California and Massachusetts, I agree, fresh snow meant grab the skis. But not here and not now.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
State of Emergency Declared!

I love my state and definitely not trying to make fun of the situation because the roads are a mess right now. But, the governor just declared a state of emergency because of the snow.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To be fair, if you live in an area where you rarely get snow, it is an emergency. I used to always laugh at places that would panic if they got snow but when you think through it logically, if you're not prepared for snow, it can be a terrible experience and one that it hard to cope with. Part of me still laughs a little bit though ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
the governor just declared a state of emergency because of the snow.

I find that funny !!!! Sorry (though i hope life or property damage doesnt happen)

Just coming from a country that has only a little snow for a cpl of months it is hard to decipher what you are going through....

This doesnt mean you cant go to work Razor ;) I just read this sort of definition of it

As the snow continues to pile up, you may get a robo-call from your local police department saying a state of emergency has been declared and only essential personnel should be on the roads.

Q: Does state law spell out which workers are considered essential?
A: No. "Essential" is in the eye of the beholder — or the beholder’s boss. (Or union contract.) The law leaves it up to common sense.

Take care and stay safe out there

Brrrrrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Yeah - people forget that when you get an odd snow - your state doesn't have the resources to handle it. I was in LA when it snowed for the first time since 1910 (It was like 2005 or 2006) - They don't have snow plows, or salt or anything so the roads just froze and everyone was slipping everywhere. Of course that happens in LA when it rains too as there is too much oil on the road.

Here - there are like 950 piece of snow removal equipment that belong to CDOT. They were using road graders in LA to clear what they could.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back at work after 2 days at home. Roads still icy but useable.

Extremely unusual weather for Arkansas, even in February. We got 7 inches measured on our deck, but parts of the state reported as much as 25 inches! And, overnight lows in the same area hit -17 deg F (almost unheard of).

By comparison, last weekend it was 78 deg F and sunny and I was enjoying the deck. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had another ice day this week after 4 in row last week.

Next week we'll be hitting close to 70 all week - life as it is in N Texas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The worlds weather sure has gone haywire!
Here however, everything is as normal (cold and damp and gloomy).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The worlds weather sure has gone haywire!
Here however, everything is as normal (cold and damp and gloomy).

:D Not gloomy here, sun is shining, birds are signing, the squirrels are chattering away at something and it's a very warm -3 ºC/ 26 ºF.
Feels like summer to us after a bout of -25 ºC/ -13 ºF temperatures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
2/2/2011 - Snowmageddon in Chicago. i started digging out my front door and ended up in an snow throne.

@bob - i completely understand. i was born and raised in DFW and i live in chicago now.

Snowmageddon-0.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.