Does the iTouch support Bluetooth headsets?

Reaction score
I'm trying to pair a bluetooth headset to my iTouch but it's not working. I've heard this only works with a Nike headset? Is that true?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That depends on what Gen your iPod Touch is.

FYI there is no such thing as an iTouch. >_<"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You need to have at least a 2nd generation Touch to have bluetooth capability...and you need firmware version 3.0 or greater to unlock it. Firmware 3.0 I think is around a $5.00 download.

As far as headsets. I remember reading that with the 2nd generation Touch...bluetooth headset compatibility is limited. The 2nd generation Touch bluetooth ability I think is geared more towards bluetooth speakers & gizmos like that other than wireless headphones.

You of course can use a "wired" headphone or "bud" with a wired microphone.

I also read (I couldn't find the article) that the 2nd generation Touch does have the capability to use bluetooth headsets...just that this ability wasn't unlocked in the firmware 3.0 upgrade. There is some speculation that maybe this ability will be unlocked in a future firmware upgrade.

I think the bottom line is...maybe Apple (at the moment) doesn't want folks turning an iPod Touch into an almost as convenient device to use as an iPhone (using something like Skype for phone calls).

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
You need to have at least a 2nd generation Touch to have bluetooth capability...and you need firmware version 3.0 or greater to unlock it. Firmware 3.0 I think is around a $5.00 download.

As far as headsets. I remember reading that with the 2nd generation Touch...bluetooth headset compatibility is limited. The 2nd generation Touch bluetooth ability I think is geared more towards bluetooth speakers & gizmos like that other than wireless headphones.

You of course can use a "wired" headphone or "bud" with a wired microphone.

I also read (I couldn't find the article) that the 2nd generation Touch does have the capability to use bluetooth headsets...just that this ability wasn't unlocked in the firmware 3.0 upgrade. There is some speculation that maybe this ability will be unlocked in a future firmware upgrade.

I think the bottom line is...maybe Apple (at the moment) doesn't want folks turning an iPod Touch into an almost as convenient device to use as an iPhone (using something like Skype for phone calls).

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Yep, this does. That's exactly what I planned on doing. Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.