What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You are very welcome

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And with this, under $1000 as a start, i still have enough spare to get myself a Eye-Fi Memory card too. Ever since i have seen these, i have wanted to get one. Good thing is, it is compatible with my Canon Powershot too.
I will get 'other' cards as well. Just a quick question, (im nearly done) what size card ?? Im getting 16GB Eye-Fi but for others, 4x8GB, 2x16GB or 1x32GB ?? I think you know what i mean. Looking at, what 8-10MB a image ??
Yes i know there are many variables, but just the ultimate average on all things here.... Yea ??

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still using a 4GB card in my D5000. No problem and have had as many as 350 images before I downloaded.

EDIT: and that is the 18-105 that normally comes as a kit lens for D7000

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm still using a 4GB card in my D5000. No problem and have had as many as 350 images before I downloaded.

EDIT: and that is the 18-105 that normally comes as a kit lens for D7000

Cool Ill be ordering soon as i find a nice bag to go with it :) My sons Bday in 2 weeks so it will get a good workout then.
Thanks again Mike, but i will be reviving it later to get people lowdown on Lens's and so on, but you have been a wealth of info to get me going :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
The 18-105mm is the standard kit lens that comes on the higher end DX cameras. It's a decent lens and covers a good range for a 'walk around' zoom.

EDIT: Bear with me while I philosophize some on this subject . . . . :)

I like to buy neat electronic gizmos, gadgets and stuff, and I suspect I'm not a lot different from most of the members on this forum. But, photography is an area where you can spend a LOT for not much gain.

Bottomline: you can't buy experience or skill.

Where I'm coming from is this; take a look at my gear. My main camera body is a D5000 (mid level body now 3 generations and soon to be 4 behind) and several decent 'consumer grade' lenses. Why?
Why don't I have a D7100 or D600, or even D800 and a bunch of top grade lenses? I'm not rich by any means, but it isn't because I couldn't afford them.
The reason I still have and use my current stuff is because my D5000 is still a better camera and my lenses are still better lenses, than I am a photographer.

If one of my pics turns out lacking that special something (and most do) it isn't because my camera and lenses weren't up to the task and they failed. It is most of the time because of me, a failure in technique or creative eye. I can't buy those, but am slowly improving in both. When and if my equipment becomes the main reason for something missing in my photos I will upgrade. Heck, I intend to upgrade anyway, just not in a big hurry.

The point is, the D7000 is a wonderful camera (the Canon alternatives are wonderful as well). It won't let you down. The 18-105mm is a very good entry level lens and quite cheap packaged like this. It will do you wonders while you learn what tools (lenses and bodies, etc) that you really need to suit your shooting and style. Honestly, the D3100 for half as much would suffice to start (but you wouldn't be happy with it, nor would I).
So, the best advice I can give is to go slow and not over buy until you know what you really want and need.

Cheers,
RavingMac
(Mike)

One more vote for the 18-105 kit lens. I use it on my D90.

Also, completely agree with the above post - I looked at getting a D800 and new lenses some time ago but in the end realised that the investment wouldn't render me a better photographer.

If I were in the market to upgrade now (and I'm not as my D90 is all I need right now) I would definitely buy something used, possibly a D300s or D7000.

Reaction score
My 2c worth

Hi There,
There are really no bad DSLR's now days
Good glass lasts almost forever, cameras come and go, bit like a PC really, soon as you get it out the door, a new model is out already

For the camera body choice, some considerations have to be made,
There are basically 2 choices of bodies, there are others but these 2 will get you started
FX and DX
In general, the FX will produce less noise and give you a "true" wide angle, 14mm is 14mm
Where as the DX body usually produces more noise at higher ISO but has more "reach"
For example, with D7100 or D300s, using a 300mm camera, your sensor, being smaller than the FX sensor, will crop the lens and give you an effective 450mm, (good for wildlife)
The trade off being 14mm is really not 14mm any more but in fact 21mm (focal length X 1.5)
This is for Nikon, Canon is a little different

lastly, if your looking for the best detail for landscape, the Nikon D800 would be my choice,
Trade off is those 36mp images produce huge files so storage is a consideration
....Gary
Me_D700 and a bunch of lenses, D800 in the new year

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks ALL for the time given, but i pulled the pin and got the Nikon D7000 with 18x105 mm lens separate and got them all for under $1000, so leaves me a few $ to get 1, maybe 2 other lens's in the coming weeks/months ��

@GLXMAN Mate just wondering if you buy in Australia and if so, what store, online or not do you use for buying ?? Just wondering so i dont have to keep going OS for products if i can get them at home just as cheap ?? Cheers

Reaction score
@GLXMAN Mate just wondering if you buy in Australia and if so, what store, online or not do you use for buying ?? Just wondering so i dont have to keep going OS for products if i can get them at home just as cheap ?? Cheers[/QUOTE]

I have a local business, (Adelaide), Photographic Wholesalers who I buy most of my gear from
My friend buys most of his gear on line, and, for the most part, has done OK

You will find quite a few "on line" companies here in Australia but most appear to be OS companies operating out of Australia

2 we use.
Digital Camera Warehouse, and
Discount Digital Photographic's

One thing to consider is "grey market" or not!
"grey market" are camera's that are shipped into Australia from another outlet, not through Nikon Australia
It is still a genuine Nikon but the warranty is not covered here in Australia, you have to send it back overseas, a lot of hassle IMHO
This where you usually see a marked difference in price

My friend has bought quite a lot of gear from DDP as their price has been the best but it appears you make your order, they then order from Singapore and you could be waiting for a month or more, Im guessing Singapore is out of stock sometimes.
Pain, but the price is right

On the other hand, DCW only sell Nikon authorised cameras so the warranty in Australia is all good, the difference being, the price is a little more, their body prices are pretty good but their lenses are quite expensive

Good reliable source for overseas purchases is B&H, most probably the largest supplier in the world, note that you are still technically buying "grey market", the warranty is still good, just a pain if something does go wrong

Something to think about,
There has been quite a lot of camera models with complaints of oil flicking on the sensor, just a nature of the beast I guess and slack QC but it can happen, approximately $200 to clean here in Australia, but under warranty here in Australia, free!
Lastly, Photographic Wholesalers here in Adelaide are quite competitive

DCW is about the right price so if a local business is way over, just buy on line, "grey market" would not be my choice so read the fine print if you go that direction
FWIW,
Im finding Aperture a great program for the price
....Gary

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Gary, thanks for the reply, and with the highs and lows of the "grey market". It seems as if i bought into that with this purchase. I went via eGlobal Digital Cameras with a PO Box in Aust but seem to be working out of Hong Kong. While this didnt bother me and still doesnt for this purchase, i will take your advice into count next time.
I did do my homework on them, and Product Review Aust, gave them a 4.7/5 Stars and all the comments where quite good, with reasonable products, (as described), great prices (i got D700 w/ 18-105mm Nikon Lens) and there AAA Postage covering for Gold standard insurance and quick delivery, with a Discount Voucher i found online for a couple $ over 1k, so i think i did really well there. They even rang me yesterday afternoon, to confirm Address and i am who i am, and said it will be dispatched 1st thing Monday Morning :D Gotta be happy with that service.

Now the deal with B&H ?? What can we buy from them ?? I went there, through the recommendation from Razor, as there was a kit with Bag for under 1k USD and as you can see on the 1st page of this thread, they wouldnt ship to Aust due to Export Regs and Manufactures restrictions they couldnt ship to me :(

7Ws2hL7.jpg

Ill keep those other warehouses in mind for future reference, but i just looking at the Adelaide one and i see what you mean about the lens prices, but one thing i do like, is they have a very wide variation of different lens's which is a good thing.
Appreciate your feedback, and yea i do like Aperture as well and i got the NIK Suite to throw in it to, so now just to wait for camera, look for 1 maybe 2 other lens to get me by, then find one for a Xmas pressie and hint hint hint lol
Thanks again mate

Brent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Great combinatoin you've got there - should see you through many happy years.

One lens I would recommend is Nikon's 35mm f1.8 - not expensive but a superb lens.

I'm lucky where I live to have a really friendly, long established camera shop in the city who will let you try out stuff before you buy and provide great advice and after sales (including part ex of gear, etc).

Is that you in your avatar? Cool tattoo if it is.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great combinatoin you've got there - should see you through many happy years.

One lens I would recommend is Nikon's 35mm f1.8 - not expensive but a superb lens.

Thanks, i think ill be happy with it. That 35mm i did find one and for a good price too, so i might hit the buy button, now having 2 people confirm its a good lens.

Is that you in your avatar? Cool tattoo if it is.

Yea certainly is and thank you. Its one of many i have designed for myself, as i am not a fan of the stick ones from the Tatt Shops, as if they are up there, everyone has them and i like be a individual ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one.

I got the Lion of Flanders done on my upper left back - tattoist had not seen it done before.

I'm not Belgian - just that I used to be a racing cyclist and loved the emblem on the flags seen around Flanders when the big races were on the TV.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one.

I got the Lion of Flanders done on my upper left back - tattoist had not seen it done before.

I'm not Belgian - just that I used to be a racing cyclist and loved the emblem on the flags seen around Flanders when the big races were on the TV.

I had a feeling what you where talking about, but i just had to google Lion of Flanders and now i know. . . That would look nice, large on your Back :)

3 more sleeps hahah for me and waiting.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pics?

Just wondering if your package has arrived . . .

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah yes, it has arrived mate. Been a couple of busy days here with my son hitting the big 10yrs of age, but it arrived on Friday, then spent the best part of the day, charging the Battery, setting up my Eye-Fi SDHC Class 10 Card so when i took a picture at the Party, people could see them appear on my iPad Mini.

So once that was all done, i went through EVERY setting in the Menu and set them to what i thought they should be for now, and finally about 4pm i actually got to shoot off a couple of rounds, and was just lucky the weather had cleared and Elmo Puppy was in a playful mood so ill post a couple of those shots below.
1st i have to say, this is a AWESOME camera and all thanks to you my good friend. Im happy with the price in the end all for under $900, but im going to a big town tomorrow (I live in a small 4500 person town) and im going to get some accessories for it and a bag.
I looked at the Manfrotto Tripods and Ball heads, and long story short, the Camera shop in Albany has just reduced one that has a lot of cosmetic damage due to a ladder fall and something from the shop assistant changing the front window, so i put a hold on that for me.

Im also stoked because my Brother Inlaw had a big Nikon and use to shoot Quad bike Enduro's and he sold the body, but kept the Lenses thinking he was going to get another Nikon. He got a Canon, , and this thing he said was huge, saying it was no smaller than 400mm but he thinks it is 600mm Telephoto Zoom Lens and if i can get a 2x Adapter im welcome to it ::eye light up:: lol It was from the Non-cpu lens days so its all Manual, but he is digging it out for me, and ill take it down hoping to get a Adapter for it . . . . .

Ive got the Manual and a Field Handbook i bought in the iBooks store so i got som reading to do, as i dont want to use Auto and learn the way it works. Im lucky as i found my good friend Sonia has exact camera and ill post one of her shots below, so she is happy to teach :) . .
And without further ado . . . . .

ugPYYhz.jpg

s0h5nmJ.jpg

PvQFQI3.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Outstanding! :D

Really glad it's working out well for you.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is just a glimpse of my new toy Nikon D7000 w/ 18-105mm AF Lens on a MKC3-P02 1.65mtr Tripod and a Nikon Remote as well :)

Ad34oB2.jpg

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am really loving this new eShop i found. Yes the only problem is they are a Aussie Frim but based out of Hong Kong, but its only if i need warranty work is when it will get a little harder.
Just been on a spending spree, buying a Kenko PRO 300 AF DGX 2.0X Telephoto Converter, Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6G IF-ED Lenses and Nikon AF 50mm f1.8D Lenses 2 more 16GB Class 10 SDHC cards, cleaning kit and Lens Pen all for a 1/4 short $500, so im pretty happy. Im going to Perth tomorrow, but a shame that the delivery wont be here until i return :(, but with a D7000 and the 18-105mm f4/5.6 Af for $1400 . . . . I reckon i could of even gone up to the D7100 and still had money to burn lol

Been out and about testing shutter speeds, ISO, aperture and all auto, all manual and im coming up with some intestesting shots, as test shots. And to knock the shutter speed up to 1/6800th its amazing what can be done with the NIK Software i got as well. Very powerful and very happy.

Just 1 question, to anyone i suppose, is how have you got your File Photo Structure going ?? Im in Aperture and i have a Folder that is labeled 2013, then down to Project Labeled October, down to Album Labeled - As per PhotoShoot . . To me that seems like the best way, and then with key words, i have set up Smart Folders, named (Jazz) Son, (Test), (Birthdays) and the like for easy finding of the Imprtant ones lol ?!?!?

C

chas_m

You guys will laugh at my amateurishness, but I recently received a Canon SX50 as a present. Yeah, it's "only" a superzoom, but its the "best in show" for that class of camera and a modest step up from my beloved S3 IS. I take a lot of pictures at odd angles (the photo's not at an odd angle -- I am!) and lots of zoom pics so I needed something with a swiveling VF, a level and great zoom and this is, at least until I'm ready to spend the big bucks on powerful zoom lenses for a DSLR, what I needed. At least it shoots RAW.

Anyway, here's a recent pic I shot with it that I am very pleased with. This small, web-rez pic does it no justice:

IMG_0628.JPG

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.