A Whole bunch of errors when Repairing Permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
So I ran a Permissions repair today and this is what I got - see attached jpg.
Should I be worried?

Should I boot off the Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility from there?

File permissions Nov 3 09.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Nah, that seems like a normal string of permissions repairs. You probably hadn't done it in a while. Good to do and keep your system running optimally. In fact, I'm going to do one right now before I head to bed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Running repair permissions a second time in a row....... do you you get the same error messages?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Running repair permissions a second time in a row....... do you you get the same error messages?

Usually not...but every computer is different (each owner treats their computer differently)...so it's hard to make a generalized statement.

- Nick

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Nah, that seems like a normal string of permissions repairs. You probably hadn't done it in a while. Good to do and keep your system running optimally. In fact, I'm going to do one right now before I head to bed.

This was the first time I ever did it. I had this particular machine for about three months.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Usually not...but every computer is different (each owner treats their computer differently)...so it's hard to make a generalized statement.

- Nick

OK, I did it again today and I think I have more.
Could my hard drive be failing? Corrupted FS? I'm a recent convert so corrupted fat32 and ntfs volumes/partitions are nothing new.

Permissions repair Nov 4 2009.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OK, I did it again today and I think I have more.
Could my hard drive be failing? Corrupted FS? I'm a recent convert so corrupted fat32 and ntfs volumes/partitions are nothing new.

No, those warnings are nothing to worry about....as frustrating as it might be to see them pop up.
When I was running 10.5.x I was getting more and more of those, each time I'd add something, updated software, etc
Just look at it as a reporting problem with the OS X, so to speak, it has something to do with not recognizing old against new receipts or something like that.
When I upgraded to snow leopard, if I run repair permissions a 2nd time when I get these messages, for some reason I see that they have all disappeared.
The warnings that I got though when I upgraded, after restoring from backup were ACL found but not expected warnings.... which I managed to stop coming up, and 2 suid file warnings, which I've learned to accept.
The long and short is that Apple says that all these warning are safe to ignore.
It is just good practice to run repair permissions periodically, and as long as your system is running fine, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Oh wait, you're running Leopard. Leopard always shows a string of messages during permissions repair. Snow Leopard corrects that, but it's not a big deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.