• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums' Bar & Grill II

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not as productive as I had initially wanted. I did get a decent chunk of my research proposal done though.

Did some drinking last night and watched the Leafs win again which is a little disappointing (we need a high draft pick).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Funny story....

This evening, while I'm cooking dinner and feeding finger food to my 11 month old sitting in his high chair, I decided to log into Facebook. All of a sudden, my cursor starts going crazy, almost as though someone is holding down the right-cursor key. I try to click on the Apple menu to shut down, but no dice - now my menus are cycling from left to right over and over. Eventually I just hit the power button and force it off.

So, before turning it back on, I try blowing the keyboard out with compressed air. I check everything and make sure there's no debris anywhere around the machine. Power it back on and it seems to work fine.

A couple of hours later, I've put the kids to bed and I once again open the lid on my MBP. Shortly after, my machine starts beeping like a lunatic - now it's like something is shorting out the apostrophe key. Undeterred, I reboot the machine and it comes up fine, no problems.

So, I'm at a loss. The machine is perfectly clean and tidy. I've made no major changes recently and I can't think of any reason why my keyboard is apparently shorting out.

Then it hits me....

My Apple Aluminum keyboard is sitting in my bag in the kitchen. I turn off the Bluetooth control and everything is fine. Apparently this whole time, some pressure is being exerted against the keyboard, which is transmitting across the house to my MacBook Pro ;)

Altogether now, say it with me...... DUH!!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
And I thought it was haunted......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I obtained a new desk chair today, well, not really new, but something different for me.

This chair is absurdly comfortable.

Attachments

• Kneeling_Chair_2143.jpg.jpeg
    Kneeling_Chair_2143.jpg.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Haha, funny thing is that my grandma has a chair that looks similar to that for her physical therapy!

Well kids, I might just not be around for a few days/weeks these coming times.
We just had a car accident in January in the family and my life may not get back to normal for a few more months.

I'll try to check in.

HOpe everyone is well!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I obtained a new desk chair today, well, not really new, but something different for me.

This chair is absurdly comfortable.

Looks like an exercise machine that my mom use to have. You rode it like a horse, it was a very odd contraption.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
cwa - you should have posted it without the answer - It would have been fun to see what people came up with to troubleshoot that one - :Evil:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so, probably for the last month, maybe more now, i've probably only stopped in a couple times.

a couple of you have contacted me via facebook or messages here, just to check on me. i just want to let anyone who was concerned at all know i'm fine. kind of busy at home, and i'm not online much. most of my off time when i'm not watching the kids is spent gaming.

at work it's just getting harder to spend time here since the red and white doesn't blend in very well...

my only recent news, is that after about 32-33 years of regular to heavy use, i've given up caffeine. last sunday was my last day with any caffeine. the withdrawl has been nuts. still suffering a bit even after a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
my only recent news, is that after about 32-33 years of regular to heavy use, i've given up caffeine. last sunday was my last day with any caffeine. the withdrawl has been nuts. still suffering a bit even after a week.

Best of luck on that. I know some habits are hard to break, and something that seems as trivial as caffeine is a real hard thing to eliminate.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm guessing you've seen my facebook updates Derek - it's been a bear for sure.

thanks. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Congrats - my use is only getting worse (grad school will do that to you). Caffeine really does deserve being labeled a drug.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One cup a day? I'm toast. I'm working on number 6 right now.

I tend to take what the DSM says is a disorder with a grain of salt though. This is the book that had homosexuality categorized as a disorder at one point.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, of course. the entry is pretty solid though.

at worst, through a lot of my 20s and 30s i was drinking about 40-60 oz of coffee a day, add huge glasses of iced tea, the occasional 16 or 20 oz hot tea. when i was a kid it was pretty evenly split between coffee, tea, and soda (which i quit in college in favor of more tea and coffee).

i work in computer operations where you're sitting for 12 hours a day and staring at a number of monitors in near air traffic controller readiness. coffee is almost a prerequisite for the job. i'm not sure how i'm going to get along without it, even once the withdrawl symptoms are over...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, of course. the entry is pretty solid though.
So was homosexuality ;).

at worst, through a lot of my 20s and 30s i was drinking about 40-60 oz of coffee a day, add huge glasses of iced tea, the occasional 16 or 20 oz hot tea. when i was a kid it was pretty evenly split between coffee, tea, and soda (which i quit in college in favor of more tea and coffee).
How did you function? If I had that much caffeine, I'd be shaking all day. I would be in a state of cat like readiness all day.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ha!

it slowly ramped up over years. i was in maintenance - it really didn't keep me more awake than normal, it just kept the headaches at bay. i'm sure it affected me in a number of ways - the withdrawl is a sure sign of that, but i could drink a big 20 oz cup between 8pm and 10-11pm and still go right to bed - no problem.
you'll get there too. we all do... :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ha!

it slowly ramped up over years. i was in maintenance - it really didn't keep me more awake than normal, it just kept the headaches at bay. i'm sure it affected me in a number of ways - the withdrawl is a sure sign of that, but i could drink a big 20 oz cup between 8pm and 10-11pm and still go right to bed - no problem.
you'll get there too. we all do... :p
Something to look forward too - hooray!

If I have a coffee at night, I can't fall asleep. I'm pretty sure if I develop a tolerance though, I'll find some other legal means to alter my consciousness.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
like moving to denver co and taking up jogging? ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
or donating a lot of blood.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.