AppZapper vs AppDelete: Opinions Please.

Reaction score
I've been researching programs which help delete applications and their accompanying preference and support files, and there seem to be two that keep popping up: AppZapper and AppDelete.

Both appear to have the same features, however, AppZapper costs $12.95 and AppDelete is freeware. Is anyone aware of any negligible differences between these two apps which would warrant the price of AppZapper?

Basically, I'm going to download one of them to help keep my system clean and am currently leaning towards AppDelete. What do you all think?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Well I have used the trial version of AppZapper and I gotta admit that zapping sound was pretty cool ... but in the end I just figured it was as easy to use Spotlight.

So my 0.2¢ is if you want the no hassles uninstallation treatment then go with a 3rd party app - I can't comment on AppDelete as I haven't used it.

If on the other hand you don't mind taking a lil' peek under the hood then I'd give Spotlight a go.

Reaction score
AppZapper does have the same Problem as AppDelete do with FIRE. If you'll try to zap FIRE, AppZapper wants to zap Firefox plist too! The whole story you can read here (for englisch readers you have to switch to english first)

Reaction score
Well I use AppZapper and I'm a great advocate of it. It offers the better UI experience, and it simply is simple. It also shows you your related stuff, while AppDelete doesn't. AppZapper is more feature-rich, overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I use AppZapper as well and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I vote AppZapper too. Its an awesome little app.

Reaction score
Quite a while ago I had loaded NeoOffice or OpenOffice (I forget which), then dumped it, using Spotlight, the Command-F search and EasyFind to nuke its pieces after trashing the app.

The app had hidden a few files in the system folder, so they were invisible and untrashable in OS X other than through Terminal that I was wary of using. So I made all files visible, booted into OS 9 and dragged the files to the trash.

Would AppZapper have found and deleted those invisible files in the system folder that also would have required root? Would AppDelete?

My contention (though I have used neither) is that of Pulse-8. Both are nothing more than crippled search engines that move anything with the relevant words to the trash — sometimes mistakenly. At other times they leave files behind.

AppZapper can be dangerous, so its simplification for new users is misplaced.

I fail to see the point of using them, and especially paying for the privilege.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Sorry, but I don't see how this great application can be dangerous..

I'd rather tell a newbie to use this software, than saying, "hey, do a search with spotlight and starts deleting whatever it happens to find".

Also, if it's not fail-proof, at least it shows you all the related files that will be "zapped" away...so you can unselect at your choice if needed.

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't see how this great application can be dangerous.
The dangerous remark references MHC's link and its story.
I'd rather tell a newbie to use this software, than saying, "hey, do a search with spotlight and starts deleting whatever it happens to find".
Who would tell a new user any such thing? Besides, it's AppZapper that more likely would do this. If you've paid money to do as it tells you, why doubt it?
Also, if it's not fail-proof, at least it shows you all the related files that will be "zapped" away...so you can unselect at your choice if needed.
Why pay to do this when you can do the same thing with Spotlight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
MHC's link was about APPDelete, not APPZapper.

MHC does use APPZapper, and advocates it.

It's purely a matter of choice. You can always do it through the spotlight.

M

MacHeadCase

One of the dangers I see with a new Mac OS X user being told to perform a search with Spotlight and delete all files that has the name of the app is where there are plug-ins entirely independent from the app's install itself like for instance a QuickTime plug-in or an extension that adds functionality to another app.

We long-time experienced Mac OS X users can use our judgment in the deletions of these files and can see the interconnection I mention above, but a new user will blindly delete then use some functionality in another app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.