Allocate RAM to and application

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to know if there is a way to allocate a specific amount of RAM to an application. I have searched through forums, but I haven't found any way to do this. Most forums say that it is impossible, so I'm not so sure that making this thread will help. However, if you know a way to do this, please reply. It is highly appreciated! I am running Mac OSX 10.8.4 on an early 2013 Mac Mini. My processor is a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, and I have 8GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can only do that with Photoshop

OSX simply gives as much ram as is spare to whatever applications thinks it needs more RAM

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think there is a way to do this in OS X. It's designed on the assumption that the OS will manage that without user intervention. What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? There might be other options.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't think there is a way to do this in OS X. It's designed on the assumption that the OS will manage that without user intervention. What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? There might be other options.
I am trying to screen record with QuickTime in high-quality without lagging. It even lags when I'm in medium-quality. I would like to be able to dedicate a certain amount of RAM to QuickTime. I can already dedicate a chosen amount of RAM to Minecraft (what I am trying to record) because it comes with that option.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am trying to screen record with QuickTime in high-quality without lagging. It even lags when I'm in medium-quality. I would like to be able to dedicate a certain amount of RAM to QuickTime. I can already dedicate a chosen amount of RAM to Minecraft (what I am trying to record) because it comes with that option.

It looks like you have a fairly top-end newer model Mac-Mini...but the simple answer to the lagging may be...that what you're trying to do may still be too much for your new Mac-Mini to handle. Maybe what you're trying to do is some serious "heavy-lifting" that even a new top-end model Mac-Mini can't handle.

In a lot of situations...having more installed ram can help. But once an application has all the ram it needs...being able to dedicate more ram is not going to help.

Many times dedicating more ram is not the answer. The answer may be a faster cpu...or more capable graphics hardware. And with Mac-Mini's...all of them only have integrated graphics...none of them have dedicated graphics hardware.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you tried another screen recording app

It maybe that Quicktime's screen recording is just laggy (I don't know this, just a thought)

Or you could reduce the screen resolution if you are trying to record a large resolution screen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.