Apps transfer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" i5 Macbook Pro
Ok, so I got my mac like 2 months ago and I didn't have an apple ID back then so I used my dad's (with his permission). Now i do have an apple id and I just want to transfer iLife without buying the whole thing again with my account. I went into the purchases tab in the app store one time and got a message asking me if i want to transfer ilife to my apple id i said yes and it said it was unable to transfer because that was not the apple id i used to download the apps with (on the starting or set up screen when i first turned on my mac, i put in my dad's apple id and it transferred ilife into his apple id now i want to transfer it to my apple id, but i can;t. Is there a way to transfer the apps or can I reset the mac so i can enter my apple id at the starting screen?
thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can't transfer it to another account. No way, no how. Just log out of his iTunes account once it's installed and authorized, then log into your iTunes account. iLife will still work.

C

chas_m

You can't transfer it to another account. No way, no how. Just log out of his iTunes account once it's installed and authorized, then log into your iTunes account. iLife will still work.

Question for lifeisabeach: yes, but won't doing that mean his version of iLife will never be upgraded (minor upgrades obviously)?

Probably a very minor issue, but just wondering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Question for lifeisabeach: yes, but won't doing that mean his version of iLife will never be upgraded (minor upgrades obviously)?

Probably a very minor issue, but just wondering.

He should just have to authorize the update with his dad's iTunes password. At least that's how it works on my iPhone. I changed my Apple ID when I got MobileMe. I still get update notices for my older purchases and it just prompts me for the password to the old account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.