Fusion -> Reallocating HD Space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
I did not want to jump the Bootcamp thread regarding this issue, so sorry for the redundancy!

I need to expand the Hard Disk in one of VM's in Fusion. I know it can be done as I found the article on VMWare Fusions website. My only problem is my own technical short comings. I do not understand what they are telling me to do. I do not understand OS X well enough to try it, nor I am comfortable enough with the tech talk to think I know what they are saying. If anyone has done this before and can explain it to me, that would be wonderful! Think of it as trying to teach a 3 year old to to tie their shoes... yeah, I know, but I am learning fairly quickly (with the help of this forum, thanks). But hey, I was smart enough to buy a Mac instead of a PC. Thats got to count for something!

Thanks in advance everyone!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
Nothing? Somebody out there has to know something! I will keep up the search...

Reaction score
I've not done this personally, but since it is a Virtual Machine I wouldn't worry about messing up you Mac OSX system. It's not like on windoze where when repartioning you also mess with your 'active' system. Have a stab at it and see how it goes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
I've worked many years with VMware Workstation/Server and now Fusion, but have never found a way to increase an already existing viritual HD.

...you can add another harddrive though, that's very simple:

Shut down the VM, go to settings, add with the + button.

If you have space issues with the C: drive (I'm assuming you are viritualizing Windows), you can move temp folders and page file, that will move a couple of gig's to your new drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
I've worked many years with VMware Workstation/Server and now Fusion, but have never found a way to increase an already existing viritual HD.

...you can add another harddrive though, that's very simple:

Shut down the VM, go to settings, add with the + button.

If you have space issues with the C: drive (I'm assuming you are viritualizing Windows), you can move temp folders and page file, that will move a couple of gig's to your new drive.

Fusions website tells you how to allocate more HDD space to an existing VM (unless I am reading it wrong, which is entirely possible). However, your method seems a bit easier. I will try that! Thanks for the direction.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.