App Store - Lion - Download?

Reaction score
Hey all. Any idea why i can't download Lion from the App Store?

I have a macbook air which came with Lion installed. I'm just wandering why it's not available for download from the App Store? It gives me the option to buy it, but it already came with the machine.

I realise I can install it over the net, but for someone with a 1 meg adsl connection it's not really ideal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Did you mac not come with a restore disk

Reaction score
you need to boot into the recovery partition..

hold "r" when you boot up...

Unfortunately Apple gave up on restore disc's

OP
H
Reaction score
I thought there was a way i could download an image from the app store so that I can load that onto a usb stick.

Do apple expect everyone to boot into restore mode and have it hang there while it downloads a 4gb download at time of installation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
I thought there was a way i could download an image from the app store so that I can load that onto a usb stick.

Do apple expect everyone to boot into restore mode and have it hang there while it downloads a 4gb download at time of installation?

Thats exactly what they expect.

No it should be available to dl. It dl's the whole package and you need to make a Image with Disk Utility to be able to put it on your USB stick.
Follow these instructions on how to do so.

Make Lion Bootable on a USB

How to create a bootable Mac OS X Lion USB installer from App Store download « BlogChampion.com Or another tutorial

HTH

Cheers

This works only if you upgraded not if it came preinstalled..

@OP you you can google how to create a USB from your recovery partition too..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thats exactly what they expect.

This works only if you upgraded not if it came preinstalled..

Not quite correct.

It says in the MAS that it is already installed then do as below.

When in the MAS click on the main page then while holding down the 'Option' key click on the Purchased page and this now will show Lion as a download.
Then follow the instructions to make a bootable copy to USB.

Should of made this clearer.

Cheers

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you are correct. I couldnt remember purchasing it as i thought i had my MBP come with it pre-installed which after going through my Apple receipts see i did in fact purchase it. Been that long ago. My mind isnt what it use to be.

@OP sorry for the confusion

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.