Need to erase hard drive, screen cracked, no firewire

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a MacBook that has a cracked screen. That's all that's wrong with it (son with anger issues squeezed the display until it cracked) but I want to sell it off, most likely cheap for parts or whatever someone wants it for.

I need to erase it but I can see absolutely nothing on the screen.

I don't have Firewire capability (or whatever that is when you use that particular cord to "connect" computers).

Is there any other way I can erase the hard drive just using the computer itself? Short of beating it with a hammer (which would obviously negate the possibility of selling it). ;)

Thank you so much!
Diane

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi All!

I have a MacBook that has a cracked screen. That's all that's wrong with it (son with anger issues squeezed the display until it cracked) but I want to sell it off, most likely cheap for parts or whatever someone wants it for.

I need to erase it but I can see absolutely nothing on the screen.

I don't have Firewire capability (or whatever that is when you use that particular cord to "connect" computers).

Is there any other way I can erase the hard drive just using the computer itself? Short of beating it with a hammer (which would obviously negate the possibility of selling it). ;)

Either plug an external monitor into it...or open it up to remove the hard drive. Then install it into an external case...then plug it into a 2nd computer to erase it.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you Nick. :)

Sadly that is beyond my capability. There's no "easy" button huh? ;)

I figured it wouldn't be easy. But if I can't do it on that computer with that computer only then it's probably going to be the hammer route.

Thank you again though!
Diane

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Plugging in an external monitor should not be a big problem assuming you have a monitor with the right kind of cable. Once the monitor is connected power it on before attempting to boot the Mac. MacBooks are pretty good about recognizing that an external monitor is attached.

OP
D
Reaction score
My biggest problem is that I don't have anything to plug it into. I used to have a firewire cable and I do have a couple other macs that I could use the firewire with but I no longer have the cable (someone snaked it).

When you say "external monitor" could another MacBook be the external monitor even though there's no firewire? If yes, what would be the "right kind of cable"?

I have a second MacBook that is exactly like the one with the broken screen (except it doesn't have a broken screen) ;) so I could use it if I have a way to connect them.

I don't know what the right kind of cable would be to do that or if it's even possible to do that.

Thank you so much to both of you for helping me with this!!
Diane

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sadly that is beyond my capability. There's no "easy" button huh? ;)

As Slydude mentioned...plugging in an external monitor IS the EASY BUTTON!;)

If you don't have an external monitor (almost anything will do)...then maybe you have a friend or relative that does that you could borrow from.

Beyond this...you can:

- remove the hard drive as I already mentioned (not really that hard)
- put it into an external case (about $10-$15 bucks)
- plug this into one of your other Mac computers you mentioned having (via the USB port)
- erase the HD
- reinstall the HD back into the original computer
- sell the computer for parts

If you cannot do the external monitor or HD removal ideas...then I am sorry to say that you are out of luck. These really are two very easy solutions (especially the external monitor)...so you really should be able to pursue one of them.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
Note that a compatible TV could be used an an external monitor. I know I have a TV that has VGA input, so you could check for that on a TV you have access to. Also if you have an HD tv, you should also be able to use that as a monitor if you check out the thread on connecting via HDMI: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ot...dapter-cables-connecting-mac-tv-via-hdmi.html

If all else fails, I'd crack it open and just remove the hard drive before selling it. That's probably the easiest route if you don't have an external display.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you very much to all of you for your suggestions! :D

Hopefully I can make at least one of them work. :D

Have an outstanding evening everyone!!
Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Here is what you can do to get the job done at no cost. Remove the hard drive as pigoo3 said. It is very simple:
  • If yours has the removable battery, remove it. There is 3 screws spread across one side (other sides have more), remove those. The hard drive is in the front right of the computer and will slide right out.
  • If you don't have the removable battery, there is 10 screws on the bottom, that pops off (has a few snaps to hold it in the middle as well). Then inside there is a black bar with orange spots on it, remove the 2 screws on it, and then the hard drive will lift out and unplug.
Then move the hard drive to the other MacBook and now you have your screen. Just make sure you switch it back after you wipe the drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what you can do to get the job done at no cost. Remove the hard drive as pigoo3 said. It is very simple:
  • If yours has the removable battery, remove it. There is 3 screws spread across one side (other sides have more), remove those. The hard drive is in the front right of the computer and will slide right out.
  • If you don't have the removable battery, there is 10 screws on the bottom, that pops off (has a few snaps to hold it in the middle as well). Then inside there is a black bar with orange spots on it, remove the 2 screws on it, and then the hard drive will lift out and unplug.
Then move the hard drive to the other MacBook and now you have your screen. Just make sure you switch it back after you wipe the drive.

This is a very good idea...especially since the OP mentioned that both of the MacBook's they have are exactly the same (no OS version issues).

The two things we don't know are:

1. What OS version is on the HD that needs to be erased (if it has a recovery partition or not to boot into)...then erase the main partition.

2. If the HD has 10.6 or earlier on it...and if so...then the OP will need an OS DVD to boot into...in order to erase the HD.

Again...a very good idea.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a very good idea...especially since the OP mentioned that both of the MacBook's they have are exactly the same (no OS version issues).

The two things we don't know are:

1. What OS version is on the HD that needs to be erased (if it has a recovery partition or not to boot into)...then erase the main partition.

2. If the HD has 10.6 or earlier on it...and if so...then the OP will need an OS DVD to boot into...in order to erase the HD.

Again...a very good idea.:)

- Nick

Right, but really it does not matter if they have the same OS or even if they are the same laptop, Mac OS on one system is the same as Mac OS on the next system, might just have to update if moving from an older system to a newer one so it can get drivers. Unlike windows which 99% of the time it will not boot if moved to a new system.

We could easily assume it has 10.6 on it though, with no firewire, it is the 2009 or 2010 model which only came preinstalled with 10.6. It could also be a 2008 aluminum, with 10.5, but does not sound like it, I believe they also include a free update to 10.6. I also hope it is not, I forgot about them, I have never had to open one of them yet, don't know how with out looking, but do know it is a cross between the two directions I gave.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, but really it does not matter if they have the same OS or even if they are the same laptop, Mac OS on one system is the same as Mac OS on the next system, might just have to update if moving from an older system to a newer one so it can get drivers.

The bottom line is...in order to do a complete erase of the HD...the computer either needs to be:

- booted from an OS install DVD if the HD to be erased has 10.6 or earlier on it
- booted from the recovery partition if the HD to be erased has 10.7 or newer installed on it.

And yes...it definitely does matter that the two MacBooks are the exact same model (or VERY close in age)...since if the "good" MacBook is older & the "bad" MacBook (with the HD to be erased) is much newer...then the HD from the bad/newer MacBook could (in theory)...have OS 10.8 installed on it.

If this were the case...then the older/good MacBook would not be able to boot from an HD with 10.8 on it...since a lot of older MacBooks cannot run OS 10.8.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bottom line is...in order to do a complete erase of the HD...the computer either needs to be:

- booted from an OS install DVD if the HD to be erased has 10.6 or earlier on it
- booted from the recovery partition if the HD to be erased has 10.7 or newer installed on it.

And yes...it definitely does matter that the two MacBooks are the exact same model (or VERY close in age)...since if the "good" MacBook is older & the "bad" MacBook (with the HD to be erased) is much newer...then the HD from the bad/newer MacBook could (in theory)...have OS 10.8 installed on it.

If this were the case...then the older/good MacBook would not be able to boot from an HD with 10.8 on it...since a lot of older MacBooks cannot run OS 10.8.

- Nick

Ok, got me there, I was not considering that. If the hardware can handle the OS, it would boot.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, got me there, I was not considering that. If the hardware can handle the OS, it would boot.

This is probably not the situation...but just wanted to mention it. OP really never told us what model MacBook's we are dealing with...or what OS versions are installed on the HD's. So we are mostly guessing at this point.

Your idea to swap the HD's between the two MacBook's is a good one :)(provided no OS/model issues). Should have thought of it myself (once we knew there were two MacBook's available)!;)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

The operating system is 10.4.11.

And yeah, I didn't give a whole lot of info, this kind of thing isn't really up my alley. I just open 'em and use 'em. ;) These particular two are several years old but I wouldn't know how to figure out what model they are (other than they're not "Pro", just "MacBook").

I tried taking the screws out but the tiniest screw driver I have (from an eyeglasses kit) won't work. And I can't find a proper cable to connect it to the TV (I was hoping it would act as an external monitor).

I may end up just letting it go as is. There shouldn't be too much on it, and probably nothing sensitive. Especially with it being so many years old, and it belonged to my kid so that should mean even more so that there's not really anything important on it. :)

Thank you very much to all of you for your help!

Have a terrific afternoon/evening!
Diane

Reaction score
I just saw this. There is no way of deleting all the contents of a hard disk such that at least some of the files cannot be restored afterwards. My brother runs a business using many laptops (over 40, replaced annually or thereabouts) holding highly sensitive financial and government data, and he long since concluded the only safe way is to remove the HD and sell the machine without one. Then he physically destroys the hard drives.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A business - yes, destroy the drive
A kids computer - no banking or other financial info - not, just format it a couple of times.

Get one of these - there are less expensive versions available from Amazon. Only need to remove the one drive, then connect it externally to the other Mac and reformat it.

Same one at Amazon - link.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you again everyone. :)

Unfortunately I'm unable to get the hard drive out of there, the little screwdriver I have doesn't work with it.

I'd love to run up to the local Radio Shack and grab a cable there for a few bucks (don't have more than that to spend and since I won't need it after this, that also makes me hesitate to purchase anything) but the people that work there (at Radio Shack) never know anything about anything...

I wish I could just see the darn screen so that I could erase it. Soooo frustrating.

But thank you again everyone!

Have a great day!
Diane

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately I'm unable to get the hard drive out of there, the little screwdriver I have doesn't work with it.

Depending where you live...a screw driver set that contains what you need can be purchased for around $5.00 bucks.

You've been given a number of viable solutions:)...but all I keep hearing is how those solutions are not doable for one reason or another!:(

Personally I wouldn't sell a computer without secure erasing the HD...or removing the HD before selling it. Since you cannot do either one...I guess you will not be able to sell it (unless you know for sure there is on sensitive data on the HD).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just saw this. There is no way of deleting all the contents of a hard disk such that at least some of the files cannot be restored afterwards. My brother runs a business using many laptops (over 40, replaced annually or thereabouts) holding highly sensitive financial and government data, and he long since concluded the only safe way is to remove the HD and sell the machine without one. Then he physically destroys the hard drives.

There are always extremes...and in life there are almost no 100% guarantees to be found.

But using Apple Disk Utilities "Secure Erase" feature where up to a 35 pass erase can be performed (where 1's and 0's are randomly written to the HD)...it's a pretty darn good way to insure security for the vast majority of the population.

Even with physical deduction of a hard drive...there are certain protocols that must be followed to insure complete destruction. So even with physical destruction of a HD...if it is not physically destructed properly...some data may still be recoverable.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.