Macbook Pro gets hot and loud when running games

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm just not used to running a large game on a small computer like this since I used to only play browser based games whether on PC or even this but, when I'm playing Farming Simulator 2013 which I've purchased through Steam, give it 5-10 minutes and the bottom is pretty warm and the fan is running loud. Now, I've tried using my moms old cooling dock but having the fan under it still has the internal fan running loud. I'm playing on a late 2011 with a 2.4 GHz Intel core i5, 8GB DDR3 and Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. I've experienced some lag in the game but it usually just fixes itself once I notice it.

Am I just paranoid since this is a small machine and I'm not used to playing a large game on a computer this size so thats just why I'm hearing the noise and I just need to buy a better cooling pad or is this game too much for what I have and do I need to throw some upgrades in? I just have no clue since I've always had a knack for software stuff but I'm useless when its hardware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any kind of graphic intensive game is going to heat up the CPU and thus drive the fan to higher RPMs. Also keep in mind that your GPU is integrated within the logic board chipset structure and that too will get hot during games. All quite normal. Make sure your MBP is on a flat surface where the air can flow beneath and around it. I recommend using a notebook stand - not only does one help cooling, it also provides some protection against nasty spills.

Upgrades... not much you can do to upgrade your machine except maybe to swap out the hard drive for a fast SSD. I believe your memory is maxed out at 8 GB.

OP
J
Reaction score
Any kind of graphic intensive game is going to heat up the CPU and thus drive the fan to higher RPMs. Also keep in mind that your GPU is integrated within the logic board chipset structure and that too will get hot during games. All quite normal. Make sure your MBP is on a flat surface where the air can flow beneath and around it. I recommend using a notebook stand - not only does one help cooling, it also provides some protection against nasty spills.

Upgrades... not much you can do to upgrade your machine except maybe to swap out the hard drive for a fast SSD. I believe your memory is maxed out at 8 GB.

Good stuff. Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right at it being maxed. I think thats the only thing I spent the extra money on from the factory

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.