iPhone screw-up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
Hi all,

Transferred files to friend's iPhone 4S (6.1.3) using TransPod; now her phone has been taken over completely by mine! My ID & registration data appear on hers, she cannot access her phone at all.

***, Apple??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You use a 3rd party utility to move stuff from your computer to your friends phone and amazingly it puts your info on it? How is that Apple's fault? Would suggest you get hold of the developer of that spamware tool you used and ask them.

Meanwhile, she's probably going to need to restore her phone from her computer.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You use a 3rd party utility to move stuff from your computer to your friends phone and amazingly it puts your info on it? How is that Apple's fault? Would suggest you get hold of the developer of that spamware tool you used and ask them.

Meanwhile, she's probably going to need to restore her phone from her computer.

You assume it is spamware? Interesting. Apple iTunes works in one direction only, another restrictive practice that encourages 3rd party developers to compensate for deficient software. I have also purchased music from iTunes that has gone missing and I cannot get it back (had to change my email address so don't know how to get the old stuff).
We are not all experts so don't abuse me for my lack of knowledge; in other fields you will be equally incompetent, no doubt.
Apple might make it more obvious how to transfer files, then no need of other software. How much 3rd party software do YOU use on your Macs, by the way??

She doesn't use a computer any more, just the iPhone

Guess my frustration spilled over; Apple is much better than 'the other vendor' at making PC's for dummies but my level of dummydom may be too much even for Apple

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My ID & registration data appear on hers, she cannot access her phone at all.
I'm confused. If you can't access the phone, how do you know that your data is stuck on there? If you can access it, why not just log out of your account? More importantly, what did you put on her phone (I can't think of anything that would do this)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Changing your email address wont stop you accessing your account. Your AppleID might be [email protected] but that's just a user name. You can still use it even if you don't have that account anymore.
Once you're logged into iTunes you can copy purchased music from your iphone into iTunes or re-download it straight into iTunes.

Even if you do have music on you're phone that's stuck on there you can use the tool you have to copy it back into iTunes.

Once that's sorted you can connect your friends iphone, restore it to factory fresh and re-set it up copying music etc onto it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm confused. If you can't access the phone, how do you know that your data is stuck on there? If you can access it, why not just log out of your account? More importantly, what did you put on her phone (I can't think of anything that would do this)?

I'm even more confused! Her phone is now MY phone- has all my data and the Settings>General>About information (serial and IMEI numbers), that is a CLONE of my iPhone!!
Appreciate your suggestions; she's gone off in a big tanty so perhaps an Apple reseller will help her...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I tried a factory reset but not having done it before could not get a result. Truthfully I don't know what I'm doing! The irony is I had said earlier Apple products are great- "it just works"
Now have holes in both feet ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have no idea what happened. I still need to know what you tried to put on the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Transpod is not capable of cloning phones. So we're missing something from the original post I think. Changing a devices IMEI number is not something easily done.

That aside,
It would help if you could describe exactly what you try and exactly what message and results are received.

A factory reset on the phone involves going to Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Content & Settings
You'll be asked to confirm the action. After a few minutes the phone will reboot into the multi-lingual welcome screen as it would have done fresh out of the box.
Which part of this process isn't completing/giving the error?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have not "assumed" anything related to that software. This forum and a great many others have been spammed repeatedly by that particular developer Wondershare - hence the name "spamware".

C

chas_m

Love how this is somehow Apple's fault. I'd facepalm if I wasn't laughing so hard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.