Clean install of 10.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys,

I want to do a clean install of 10.6 over 10.5 Leopard (to make sure all bugs are cleaned out) and then restore everything from my time machine backup. How can I do this in the fewest number of steps?

Also, how do I make sure 10.6 is running in 64bit once installed?

many thanks,
j

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do a full Time Machine backup
Put the Snow Leopard disc in
Restart your Mac holding option
Select the Snow Leopard disc to boot from
Use Disk Utility in the installer to format your MacHD to Mac HFS+ journaled GUID
continue through the install
On first reboot you'll be asked if you are migrating from another Mac, select yes and choose the Time Machine restore option
Follow the instructions, wait for the restore to complete and............ You done

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Do a full Time Machine backup
Put the Snow Leopard disc in
Restart your Mac holding option
Select the Snow Leopard disc to boot from
Use Disk Utility in the installer to format your MacHD to Mac HFS+ journaled GUID
continue through the install
On first reboot you'll be asked if you are migrating from another Mac, select yes and choose the Time Machine restore option
Follow the instructions, wait for the restore to complete and............ You done

Thanks a lot!
Whats the difference between "Mac HFS+ journaled GUID" & Extended Journaled? Have always formated to Extended Journaled in the past.
Also which HD disk do I choose when erasing? Is the the route 232.9 GB Toshiba MK2... or the "Macintosh HD? Always forget..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A boot drive should be formatted as GUID.

As for which hard disk....... I can't answer that with knowing more about your Mac and the way you have it configured at present. Fundamentally, you want to be formatting the drive you currently boot from and have Leopard installed on.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Unless you've altered the default arrangements, it should almost always be "Macintosh HD" which, in Disk Utility" is listed as an indent under "Toshiba xyz...".

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.