Satnav?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've had my Ipod touch 4th gen for just under 1 year now and loving every thing it can do. But, I would like to try and use it as a satnav.

Now, I know you can buy something like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5042953.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:5042953|cat:limited+stock+clearance+%2F+limited+stock+home+entertainment+and+sat+nav+%2F

But, I'll be using it on a push bike so that won't be no help for me. So any way. I think I'm right in saying that you don't need too have Wifi/3g all the time to use a satnav outside?

If so, how can I turn my ipod touch into a satnav for a push bike? I know they is a lot off satnav apps out there but they don't help me seeing as you need wifi :(

Thanks guys.
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
With no WiFi all you can do is Jailbreak your iPod*, install RogyBT4 and then get a Bluetooth GPS unit to pair it with the iPod.
I did this and it works wonderfully, I can now use all map apps absolutely anywhere which is awesome.

roqyBluetooth

*Well, actually there is another solution that doesn't require Jailbreaking.
» Bad Elf GPS for iPod touch, iPhone, & iPad » Bad Elf

Regardless which of the two you try, you will always need an external GPS unit. Because the iPod doesn't have one.

OP
Reaction score
With no WiFi all you can do is Jailbreak your iPod*, install RogyBT4 and then get a Bluetooth GPS unit to pair it with the iPod.
I did this and it works wonderfully, I can now use all map apps absolutely anywhere which is awesome.

roqyBluetooth

*Well, actually there is another solution that doesn't require Jailbreaking.
» Bad Elf GPS for iPod touch, iPhone, & iPad » Bad Elf

Regardless which of the two you try, you will always need an external GPS unit. Because the iPod doesn't have one.

Thank you,

I've just orded the Bluetooth thing of eBay & a iPod touch bike holder.

Thee other one cost wat to much.

So, ones I get that Bluetooth thing & a app like tomtom satnav it will work without owt else?

Thank you.
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
OP
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Today I've got mine and it just won't work :(

When using a satnav app like Navfree it just says "No GPS devise fount" or something like that.

Also, in the main ipod settings it says it's not supported as you can see by the picture.

Any idea what's wrong? Thanks
img0495a.png

img0496.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, kinda strange in your first screenshot it says it isn't supported and in the second it seems it can see the GPS and see it's coordinate data.
Do you have the MTK workaround enabled in roqyBT's Configuration area?
Try that, I know that my GPS didn't work until I enabled that.

If it still doesn't work, try his forum where he is active most of the time. Make sure to include a link or make model of your GPS unit.
www.roqy-bluetooth.net • Index page

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.