27" iMac and 42" external display

Reaction score
I purchased a 27" imac in november and have ever since been trying to connect it to my 42" LCD television. It's currently connected via a minidisplay port to vga adapter and a vga cord but the max resolution (sometimes 1080p will show up under resolution in display preferences, other times it will just have 1600x1200) is nothing compared to when I connect my two year old macbook pro (dvi to vga) to the same screen (at I think 2560 x 1600) . This seems ridiculous to me, what's going on and is there any way I can get more resolution out of my mini display port? Also, there seems to be some sort of distortion with the screen when it's hooked up via vga, there are horizontal lines running up and down the screen, there's alot of electronics around it so I'm guessing it's an interference, but is there any way to reduce it? The vga cord is already shielded I think.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to suggest that you need to connect to a port on your 42" TV other than the VGA port. Try the DVI port on your TV (if it has one)...or go thru an HDMI port.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest that you need to connect to a port on your 42" TV other than the VGA port. Try the DVI port on your TV (if it has one)...or go thru an HDMI port.

Good luck,

- Nick

Well it doesn't have any problem connecting through vga with my laptop. I've tried a mini display port to hdmi adapter I got off monoprice, but same issue and the colors are way off.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well it doesn't have any problem connecting through vga with my laptop. I've tried a mini display port to hdmi adapter I got off monoprice, but same issue and the colors are way off.

Ok...good luck.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.