Windows 7 install problem Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am trying to install Windows 7 on my early 08 Mac Pro... Everything is up to date, I am on 10.6.6... I go to install via boot camp assistant. I created a partition just fine...

Then it asks if I want to download the support software, and it gives me an error when I try to save it to a hard drive or disk..I read that you can just use your leopard DVD to install that software so I skipped that step.

I then go to start the installation with my Windows 7 disk in the drive and it boots my machine to start the installation but nothing happens...There is nothing on my monitor.

Any ideas? I read that the latest version of bootcamp supports windows 7... I have 3.0.4 and when I go to software update there is no updates available.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Then it asks if I want to download the support software, and it gives me an error when I try to save it to a hard drive or disk..I read that you can just use your leopard DVD to install that software so I skipped that step.

What support software? Is it specifically for the Mac Pro so that you can install Windows? I know the Mac Pro has unique hardware that may not be driver supported for Windows on the Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD.

OP
V
Reaction score
Moved to correct forum.

What support software? Is it specifically for the Mac Pro so that you can install Windows? I know the Mac Pro has unique hardware that may not be driver supported for Windows on the Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD.

Im not sure. It just calls it windows support software. I have installed windows xp on my mac just fine so I dont understand why windows 7 would be a problem. it is a 64 bit machine. I remember that after installing xp I used the leopard dvd to install drivers and etc...I cant even get it to install.

When you guys try to install windows in boot camp it doesn't ask you if you want to download the windows support software?

Reaction score
No. That one is news to me but then I've never had a Mac Pro ... One question: where did you get the Windows disc? Is it a legal, full retail or system builder's OEM disc? If not, it may either be pirated or if a manufacturer's OEM disc, it may be trying to load the manufacturer's information. Unless it's a full retail or system builder's OEM disc, it will not likely install in Boot Camp. That could be it.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now that I saw your reply to my initial question, I agree with Sammy. It does sound like you are using a version of Windows that will not work. As Sammy pointed out it may be an OEM version.

OP
V
Reaction score
Its an AIO version. I know people who had no problems installing it on their macs..however they were not Mac Pro's. Why would this be a problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its an AIO version

First, explain what an AIO version is. Is it an academic version of some sort?

OP
V
Reaction score
I have an update. So I tried to install boot camp with windows XP and still the same results. I think I found the problem. This is a mac pro and I have a windows partition on a separate drive... Can you have multiple windows partitions with boot camp on the same computer? I think that is what is confusing it because when I go to install windows XP it just boots into my windows xp partition...so I think it is getting confused there. Maybe I need to erase that one first?

Reaction score
Again, never had a Mac Pro but on a Mac with only one hard drive, Boot Camp will not work on a drive that has already been partitioned. So, I would use Boot Camp to restore the drive with the XP partition (assuming you created it with BC) to a single Mac volume, then try again. Not sure about the AIO thing either - that didn't really answer my or Chscag's question about the source of the disk. If it is a full retail version of XP or OEM system builder's edition, it will work. If it's something else, then even restoring the drive may not work. Did others use the exact same disc for their installations?

Good luck!

Reaction score
One more thing: an all-in-one DVD is a user-created DVD that has .ISO files from whatever windows versions you want to put on there. It is NOT a DVD provided or sold by Microsoft. As a result, unless you created this DVD yourself as the owner of each of the Windows versions on that disc, it was created in violation of the end-user license agreements and we won't support it here.

Even if you did create the DVD yourself after having purchased all the Windows versions on it legally, whatever Windows version you are trying to install in Boot Camp had to be either a full retail version of Windows or a "system builder OEM" version of Windows in order for it to work under Boot Camp.

That's probably why the OP didn't respond to our questions about the provenance of the disc. I would advise the moderator to respond accordingly to this thread.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the OP: (vodoochild81)

I'm closing this thread due to the fact that I believe you're using an illegal version of Windows. Microsoft nor any other retailer that I know of sells an "All In One" version of Windows. You will receive no further assistance from these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.