RAM Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
Hi guys

I am not to cluey when it comes to computers but I need to know how to get my Intel iMac to run faster while using Creative Suite programs. I am looking at upgrading my RAM from 512mb to 2gb. Will that do?

Cheers

Jim

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am looking at upgrading my RAM from 512mb to 2gb. Will that do?
Cheers
Jim

G'day jim007,

You haven't stated which iMac you have, there are 3 possibilities:

* Early 2006 - 17" 1.83GHz model shipped with 1 RAM module - 512Mb in the top of two available slots,

* Mid 2006 - 17" 1.83GHz model shipped with 512Mb of Ram - 256Mb in each slot. If you upgrade the memory in your iMac (Mid 2006), make sure you have matching size SO-DIMMs in each slot for best graphics performance.

* Late 2006 - 17" 1.83GHz model shipped with 512Mb of RAM - 256Mb in each slot

The maximum amount of upgradeable RAM for all 3 models is 2 GB of SO-DIMM which is 1 GB per slot.

So, all of the Intel iMac models use the same type of memory, but the maximum capacity and recommended configuration varies depending on the system.

These are the specifications of the type of RAM you need for your upgrade:

DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz PC2-5300 SO DIMM 200-pin, unbuffered, nonparity, 1.8v.

How much RAM do I need?

The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. How much memory is right for you?
Choose 512MB of memory to support most day-to-day tasks such as email, word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, and basic iLife '06 tasks.
Select 1GB of memory (two 512MB modules) if you'll be photo editing, creating illustrations, or building complex presentations.
Upgrade to the 2GB option (two 1GB modules) if you plan to use your system regularly for sound design, video editing, DVD authoring, animation, and other intensive tasks.
The Intel iMac uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today—667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM -- which is strongly recommended -- you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Just an opinion from someone who uses Photoshop CS2 a lot. I have 2.5 GB RAM in my machine, and it works very well. In fact, based on memory monitors I have on the machine, I would say that Photoshop has never exceeded the first 2 GB. So, 2 GB would be a nice, and very generous amount. If you are serious about photo editing, it is probably a good investment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.