Is switching an Emac and and MDD Powermac worth it?

Reaction score
I have a friend who has an MDD 1.25Ghz g4 mac he doesn't use very often at all. He doesn't care too much about speed, he just uses an extra computer every now and then. I currently use a 1Ghz Emac, and he would be willing to switch his MDD and my Emac. One problem, though. I read on wikipedia something about not having a DDR frontside bus which made it only run at 50% speed (so I'd be trading 1Ghz for 600Mhz). Knowing Wikipedia is not the best source of info, I went to check with you guys to see if it would be worth it to do the trade. Thanks for any help you can give!

Oh and could I transfer some of my RAM from the Emac into the MDD, because it only has 256 by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is a dual processor model, particularly the FW 800 model, yes. It will run at 1.25GHz and you will be able to install leopard, if desired, proving it is not a 600MHz processor.

DP are dual 1.25GHz, not dual 600MHz to make 1.25. For a single processor, probably not such a good swap as you also will have to shell out for a display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
I have a friend who has an MDD 1.25Ghz g4 mac he doesn't use very often at all. He doesn't care too much about speed, he just uses an extra computer every now and then. I currently use a 1Ghz Emac, and he would be willing to switch his MDD and my Emac. One problem, though. I read on wikipedia something about not having a DDR frontside bus which made it only run at 50% speed (so I'd be trading 1Ghz for 600Mhz). Knowing Wikipedia is not the best source of info, I went to check with you guys to see if it would be worth it to do the trade. Thanks for any help you can give!

Oh and could I transfer some of my RAM from the Emac into the MDD, because it only has 256 by default.

I think there is some confusion here. The RAM speed is not affected by the CPU speed and will run at 1.25ghz. The DDR frontside bus is 167mhz. This may vary depending whether you have a dual processor in the G4 tower or a single.

What you were thinking was dual channel RAM using DDR. This does not affect anything when it is not in effect and only will speed things up assuming the motherboard supports it (I do not know if the G4 MDD tower does).

You will not be able to switch the memory between the to. The eMac 1ghz uses PC133 SDRAM while the G4 tower uses PC2700 memory. Only the eMac 1.25 and 1.42 would be able to switch ram sticks with that G4 model.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: There is a chance that you may have PC2700 memory in your eMac. I was reading another thread stating that this is possible. Check the system profile under the apple menu and it will tell you there what kind of memory your eMac uses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.