Can I connect a Mac Monitor to my PS3?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping to connect my Mac Monitor to my PS3, the monitor I have is quite old. Link below...

Apple Cinema Display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it's one of the early cinema displays, looks the same as the 2nd image on the right, but I'm not sure which model is it is exactly as I have no box/manual.

I've attached an image of the lead, I'm sure it's an ADC (Apple Display Connector).

I went into an Apple store and the guy said I could get an ADC to DVI cable and connect that to a DVI to HDMI cable.

I just want to know if this sounds like it would work or if anyone has had a similar issue/done a similar thing?

I know that the monitor has no sound so am going to use headphones/speakers.

Any help appreciated, if you need to know any more info let me know!

Thanks!

image.jpeg

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
(would help if you took a picture of the pins and not the side!!)

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah that's the same 2 adapters I've been looking it. One thing, with the Belkin ADC - DVI adapter would I not need the female one? Looking at the photo on the link I can't see how it could connect to the monitor lead and then to the DVI - HDMI lead?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Moved to a more appropriate forum.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If this is one of those monitors with the single ADC cord - e.g. no separate power cable - then you're going to need to find one of the Apple made adapters. They have a separate power supply built into them so that you can power the monitor. No regular ADC to DVI adapter is going to work.

If you can find that adapter on ebay, it's probably going to run you around $100.

The adapters you're looking at were for the Macs that had an ADC port. You need the one specifically designed to the Cinema Displays with the ADC port. It is a different part.

I "think" this is the one you need.

I'm a post PPC switcher, so maybe let one of the older hands verify that's it if you're going to seriously consider it rather than getting a new monitor. Whether it will work connected to a PS3, I have no clue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.