Which Macbook should i get?

Reaction score
hi guys i'm 14 + basically what I'll be using it for is watching dvds, playing my music, making cd's/dvds, word processing and other education based things. My dad said he would get me one as I'm starting my GCSE's (dunno the US equivalent) and he's teaching me A level history and politics so I'll need one for typing things, research,receiving docs and to show off to friends cos of the slick design. I like the macbook pro but i just don't think i need one, im sure you'll agree. All comments appreciated...........
price range=$1400 £700

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
In all honesty, the lowes end macbook would work fine, but your probably want to go with a mid range simply because you might do more extensive work later on. Definitely no need for a macbook pro.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
that's what i thought but we'll see what others think..........
thanks for fast reponse

Reaction score
Hey im in exactly the same situation as you: 14 just starting GCSE's and wanting to get a mac for when i go back to school. Well i have deciced that i am going to go for the mid ranged macbook (£830) it is exactly my budget (which was £840max) and i decided i should get this one becasue of more hard drive and more powerfull but felt i didnt need the top end MB. I'm now just decidind whta case to get. I know this is off topic but could i have your help please:

Brenthaven Edge I for 13,3" MacBook: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9467A387&nplm=TH387

or

Incase Canvas Sleeve for 13,3" MacBook: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9469805F&nplm=TL691

Thnaks and good luck with your MacBook srgthunder!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 80GB 2GHz C2D 1GB RAM | iPod Nano 3G 8GB
hi guys i'm 14 + basically what I'll be using it for is watching dvds, playing my music, making cd's/dvds, word processing and other education based things.

If you want to burn DVDs then the lowest end one (£699) only has a combo drive, which can't write DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb
if your budget is 700 quid, can you really be considering anything other than the base line macbook?

if you can squeeze more cash out, i would highly recommend the mid range with no customisation.

for waht you are going to be using it for, it will be more than adequate (you can always buy cheap 2gb ram at a later time)

nice to see you are taking AS history and politics at the age of 15 - i just had my first year in both these subjects and it is a real ***** of an exam (well, the politics was. but only because of the time constraints)

GCSEs, AS and A2 will drag you right down for the next 4 years of your life with uninspirational fact learning - unlucky.

i only have one omre year of crap left, then i can go to uni and express myself as much as i like!
YAY.

edit: i think the US equiv of GCSEs are S-A-Ts....the exams at the end of grade school?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
if your budget is 700 quid, can you really be considering anything other than the base line macbook?

if you can squeeze more cash out, i would highly recommend the mid range with no customisation.

for waht you are going to be using it for, it will be more than adequate (you can always buy cheap 2gb ram at a later time)

nice to see you are taking AS history and politics at the age of 15 - i just had my first year in both these subjects and it is a real ***** of an exam (well, the politics was. but only because of the time constraints)

GCSEs, AS and A2 will drag you right down for the next 4 years of your life with uninspirational fact learning - unlucky.

i only have one omre year of crap left, then i can go to uni and express myself as much as i like!
YAY.

edit: i think the US equiv of GCSEs are S-A-Ts....the exams at the end of grade school?

We dont have exams at the end of grade school. Just profiency but those are really easy. The SAT is junior-senior of high school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16GHZ, 1G mem, 120HD
Id say the mid range one will work well. Im on one right now and it's incredible. I'm a college student and a musician and this thing delivers both ways. I highly recommend looking at windows office for word documents excel etc.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
ok cool i'll go for the mid range one i can get one in my budget, if i buy one thats a refurb, i'll be getting vista,office for free so thats cool.
cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse
Mid MacBook, 1GB Ram, 80 HD, SuperDrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid MacBook, 1GB Ram, 80 HD, SuperDrive.

That's not the mid one. The standard configuration mid-rage macbook has:

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive
* Double-layer SuperDrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, depends on the country, in Mexico the one i wrote it's the mid one (sux, ha?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol yeah. Well what I posted is the mid configuration for UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now everyone who sees my MacBook ask me "what model is that"... bah! what should I say? "It's a MB core 2 duo, 80GB HD, 1GB Ram...." ?????... for example "it's a HP Pavilion dv6220LA"

Reaction score
Now everyone who sees my MacBook ask me "what model is that"... bah! what should I say? "It's a MB core 2 duo, 80GB HD, 1GB Ram...." ?????... for example "it's a HP Pavilion dv6220LA"

I see you don't want to have to tell someone that cuz after 5minutes ofd you telling them the name they'll get bored: just say mid range MB. !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, i've tried that but whenever i came to work i have to register my MB at the entrance, so they ask "brand?" - "Mac"; "Model?" - "ehm... mid range MB???" that's when they ask me to open my briefcase and take out the MB and open it and sometimes (just happened twice) pull the battery off to see the SN!.... =S... or else i just invent a model; "It's a Macbook MB0717"

Reaction score
im getting the mid range macbook

-2.16ghz intel core 2 duo

-1GB Ram

-120GB Hardrive

dual layer superdrive

that is the mid one for uk and it costs £830 and im a bit younger than you GCSE guys but i think this will last me a lot of years in the future

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you starting your GCSEs next year?

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
thanks for all your info, got another question if i buy a macbook from eBay do i have still have to pay customs tax if its delivered to england, i don't in england but what bout the states?

Reaction score
Don't get in off ebay just buy it off the apple website, at least then you have got it from a trusted source and if there something wrong have someone to contact: you never know wehn using ebay tho.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.