Can't identify the mount on 30" Cinema display

Reaction score
Hi!

So this is my first post...
I recently bought a secondhand 30" cinema display which came without the stand. The thing is I can't even identify the mount (to see if I could use it with anything...). Can somebody help me please? Here are some images: http://imgur.com/6oNzPaz

Much appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your best bet is to check with sellers on eBay to see if there's a mount for sale. I can't imagine buying an Apple Cinema Display without a mount. Was the display being used with a vesa mount before and what happened to the original one?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks!

I already checked on ebay - the bummer is that the only ones available at a reasonable price (used around 50$ - they still sell them new for up to 250$!!!) are located in the US and are very expensive to ship to europe (60$)...

It was mounted on a wall, so looking into it I saw that that was not uncommon and I supposed they meant a VESA wall mount, but when the display came it didn't look like any of the VESA mounts i researched on the internet. The original stand was de-mounted and "never heard or seen of again" - as I bought it from a company selling their inventory, I suspect that technicians installed and mounted the display (and took the stand with them in the process).
So, as the ebay ones are expensive (and few) i wondered if somebody recognized the mount so I'd be able to buy the missing "wall-part" at a lower price than the stands...

So, long story short, I am searching an low(er)-cost alternative solution to buying a stand. :)

(If anyone has a broken Display and is interested in selling it for parts, I'm listening!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
The part you should need is 076-1142. It's a pretty expensive stand.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I already checked on ebay - the bummer is that the only ones available at a reasonable price (used around 50$ - they still sell them new for up to 250$!!!) are located in the US and are very expensive to ship to europe (60$)...

Yeah, that's a bummer alright. John gave you the correct part number, but like he said the stand new from Apple in Europe is going to be expensive. Your best bet is to keep looking for a seller in Europe on eBay or maybe Amazon.com.uk. Shipping from the US will be expensive and you'll also wind up paying VAT.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you JohnCL and chscag!

I'll keep looking, something will come up for sure! I'm eager to get working on the display, though - currently on a MacBookPro and larger format layouts are a pain...

I'll let you know if I find one! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

100% complete and working 30" Apple Cinema Displays still commonly sell for between $400-$600 on e-Bay here in the US. If you can find a stand for this monitor for $50...GET IT...since this is actually a very good price for just the stand (compared to the total value of the monitor).

Obviously shipping to Europe is expensive...which means you need to keep shopping in your "area" (Europe and/or the UK)...until a stand becomes available at a decent price.

And of course...if you can find a non-working 30" Apple Cinema display for a very good price...then just remove the stand...and use it.:)

Also (as far as I know)...I don't think that the 30" Apple Cinema is capable of using a VESA mount. I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display...and there are no mounting points on the back of the case for a VESA mount.

Finally...if you're creative (which I like to think I am)...or maybe I'm just resourceful;)...temp. solutions can be made. Maybe not pretty...but functional. You could make a wood frame that fits around the perimeter of the monitor...then make a wooden foot/stand that attaches to this frame. BAMM...you're good to go!:)

Then when you find an original stand...you install it & discard the wooden frame/stand.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would also like to warn you...if you have a newer MacBook Pro...you will not get full functionality/resolution out of this 30" Apple Cinema display...unless you have this ($99) adapter:

Ouch Nick! Expensive stand, $99 adapter... the poor guy is going to be tearing his hair out. :Oops:

OP
L
Reaction score
Nick,

I actually already considered the wood-frame-solution! :D DIY FTW If I don't find something soon, I think I'll go for it.
And, "luckily" my MacBook Pro is not what you would call "new" ;) So for the moment, I won't need the adapter. It actually works great, but only lying down - at the moment.

BTW Thanks to all of you for the quick responses, makes for a nice welcoming which I surely appreciate!
Steph

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually already considered the wood-frame-solution! :D DIY FTW If I don't find something soon, I think I'll go for it.
And, "luckily" my MacBook Pro is not what you would call "new" ;) So for the moment, I won't need the adapter. It actually works great, but only lying down - at the moment.

Good deal on both points!:)

- Nick

p.s. Are you definitely getting the full 2560x1600 resolution? Because even without the adapter...the monitor will work...you just won't get the full resolution.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ouch Nick! Expensive stand, $99 adapter... the poor guy is going to be tearing his hair out. :Oops:

I hate being the bearer of bad news. The adapter "thing" for the 30" display I don't think is very well known. But I guess (according to the OP) everything is ok at the moment.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.