IPad AirPrint.

Reaction score
I have my HP Photosmart C4780 hooked to my Time Capsule which is connected via ethernet cable to my iMac. All of the other computers that are connected to the wireless network print just fine to the HP c4780 which is the network printer. What do I need to do to get documents printed from the iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Pretty sure that's not an AirPrint compatible printer but you can install the HP iPrint app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Please remember to use the search function of these forums. This has been covered recently and I remember personally posting a link to HP's website with a list of the only printers right now that are compatible with AirPrint.

C

chas_m

Let's be clear about the use of the word "compatible" with the word "Airprint."

Nearly ALL printers are compatible with AirPrint ... if they are plugged (wired) into an Airport base station or wired into a Mac and shared on the network. That may not be what the OP meant, but it works.

Printers that can work with the AirPrint *out of the box* on the other hard number (as of today) 18. Here's the original 12, and here's the six that were added today.

OP
M
Reaction score
Does that mean that if I'm working off of a Time Capsule/Network, the HP App will work with said printer regardless of what is on the list?

C

chas_m

My understanding is that if the printer is *Bonjour* compatible (and a lot of them are), and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it. I don't know anything about "the HP app" so couldn't say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it.

Does this go for Airport Express as well ..... Im thinking so ?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Let's be clear about the use of the word "compatible" with the word "Airprint."

Nearly ALL printers are compatible with AirPrint ... if they are plugged (wired) into an Airport base station or wired into a Mac and shared on the network. That may not be what the OP meant, but it works.

Printers that can work with the AirPrint *out of the box* on the other hard number (as of today) 18. Here's the original 12, and here's the six that were added today.

Does that mean that if I'm working off of a Time Capsule/Network, the HP App will work with said printer regardless of what is on the list?

My understanding is that if the printer is *Bonjour* compatible (and a lot of them are), and it's plugged into an Airport Base Station (or Time Capsule), Airprint will work with it. I don't know anything about "the HP app" so couldn't say.

Does this go for Airport Express as well ..... Im thinking so ?!?!?

That's not really true. Ultimately, sure, that will be the case, but Apple removed support for AirPrint via Airport or connected Mac/PC before they released 10.6.5 and 4.2.1. It was planned, but pulled at the last minute.

So as of right now, there are only a handful of printers that directly support AirPrint and those are the only ones that work without hacks.

What your'e describing may become the case in the future if Apple adds that functionality back in.

The only printers compatible at the moment are listed at the bottom of this page:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/feature...EA-AFF&tduid=7ac57353b6a55d4b9a011d48fe4d2f5c

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ditto for Printopia.
Only caveat is the Mac has to be running, so I have it on my Mac mini home theater which I leave on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks for the clarification there schweb, but my post was more to do with what CM had written about the Airport Base Station. Considering the AE and the ABS have the same printing capabilities, i was presuming that the AE could work like the ABS ...

Thanks for the clarification there schweb, but my post was more to do with what CM had written about the Airport Base Station. Considering the AE and the ABS have the same printing capabilities, i was presuming that the AE could work like the ABS ...

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Cheers

Yes it can share printers on your network.

But it won't enable AirPrint (neither will the Airport Extreme). Just want to make sure people understand that and aren't confused.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.