• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

firewire???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
What is the differance between using the usb cable that came with my camera and firewire cable? will both work the same on a mac to transfer movies & photos?

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,Ride. Big fan of calvin & hobbes btw!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Does your camera support firewire? The only cameras I know of that come with a built-in firewire port are EOS 1Ds Mark II's and other high end DSLR's. Or medium or large format camera backs.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Do mean video camera or DSLR/Digital Camera? Either way, the camera has to support both protocols, and I don't think you can dump video with USB-2, at least not directly into iMovie.

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do mean video camera or DSLR/Digital Camera? Either way, the camera has to support both protocols, and I don't think you can dump video with USB-2, at least not directly into iMovie.

jvc mini dv camcorder and olympus digital still camera (fe-240)
thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I very highly doubt the Olympus supports Firewire but the JVC should. Firewire is simply a faster way to connect and download files over USB 2.0 and that's really it.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is the Mini-DV a tape? If so, then you can only get the video off of it via iMovie and then only via Firewire. The Mini-DV tape will not mount as a drive and the extraction process must be controlled by iMovie. There may be other ways to do it, but none that I have found so far. If the Mini-DV is a small CD type disc, then I have NO idea.

Assuming the Olympus has a flash Card in it, then it should be USB only, and the card should mount on the desktop as a hard drive. You can drag the photos off, or use iPhoto to import them. I do both with my Nikon D50 (which is USB only btw).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.