New router time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
I have a linksys 54g currently. Have been having to reset it a lot to maintain wifi. This also happened about 3 years ago. Anyways I'm looking into a new router but am not up to speed with all the g,n,AC options. I remember when we first switched to Mac in 06 I bought the best at the time. Some $250 router and I ended up using the $50 cheap linksys cause it worked way better, or should I say it actually worked.
With that said is there a router that suits my 08' MBP , 12' iPad, and iPhones. The only foreseeable thing that I'm not doing now, is I would like to add a wireless backup/time machine for the house. I don't know if its easiest to do this thru the router or just buy a Time capsule.
I've read several reviews where it mentions using the g speed band if you don't have the latest and greatest apple gear. We do plan on getting a new laptop or iMac in the next 1-2 yrs. thanks

Stick with a new reliable $50 linksys
Or get into airport or other higher end router.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I bought the latest Time Capsule and not only does it have better range than my older Extreme the inclusion of a wireless drive for backing up was a plus not to mention faster than a USB drive attached to the Extreme.
Plus when I get a new MBP I will be able to use 802.11 ac.
The footprint is very small compared to the competition another plus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Plummer - well, your MBPro (late 2008 model according to HERE has 802.11 a/b/g/n, as do your iDevices, so an 'n' router would certainly be a nice upgrade.

As already posted the newest Apple Extreme Router & Time Capsule (router + storage) will do the newest approved standard, i.e. 802.11 ac, but the wireless network will broadcast on the band of your 'slowest' active device. I bought an Airport Extreme last year, so I'm getting 802.11 n which is plenty fast since the real limiting factor will be the speed of your connection provided by your ISP. Dave :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much for the help. I've wanted an excuse to get one of those. Always wanted the wireless back up and to make more use of the OS. I'm really interested in the wireless access to my home from the job site

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question about the extremes, just one has a built in HD and the other doesn't. Anything else I might be missing or details someone could share.

I'll be picking one up soon , extreme time capsule. Today if I swing by the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Question about the extremes, just one has a built in HD and the other doesn't. Anything else I might be missing or details someone could share.

I'll be picking one up soon , extreme time capsule. Today if I swing by the apple store.

Hi again Plummer - check HERE for details - Apple offers 4 routers: 1) AirPort Express; 2) AirPort Extreme; 3) Time Capsule 2 TB; and 4) Time Capsule 3 TB - the latter two being basically an AirPort Extreme w/ storage; prices escalate by $100 going up that list, so you'll need to decide - good luck. Dave :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well thankfully work has been good, and is sprung for the extreme time capsule. Man what an improvement over the old linksys 54g. Snap, snap quick. Range is more than double. I can use it at my neighbors , about 80-100' away I think. I struggled with my own garage before.
The time machine is a great piece of mind too. All automatic. Big thanks for the suggestions. I just have to figure out how to get my MBP to sync with my other devices. Keeps saying I have to allow the MBP to sync, but I have it on. Maybe it's the Snow leopard. Still reading

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.