Hooking up to receiver

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was another way to hook up a macbook pro to a home theater receiver other than the head phone jack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I was wondering if there was another way to hook up a macbook pro to a home theater receiver other than the head phone jack?

Wirelessley via Apple TV2. If your AVR has HDMI inputs then the video should pass through the output to the TV and the audio through your speaker set-up.

ATV2 supports DD 5.1 so although movies are 720p max which is fine, the audio is more than comfortable.
I just have the music on the amp set to Stereo because I have satellites and a sub and Direct mode won't cut it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Airport Express too, via wi-fi once again. This is a very good way if you have no desire for the ATV and it's extra video capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport Express too, via wi-fi once again. This is a very good way if you have no desire for the ATV and it's extra video capabilities.

Morning Kev,
Since I got my ATV2 working I can't stop blethering on about it:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

Just checking, you probably know this anyway, but the headphone jack has digital optical out as well as analogue stereo.

Not sure if you wanted to specifically avoid using that physically connection or that you wanted 5.1 audio etc.

OP
J
Reaction score
I would like to have 5.1 but I don't know what all the outputs on the 13" macbook pro can do. I don't have an ATV2 or Airport Express.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to have 5.1 but I don't know what all the outputs on the 13" macbook pro can do. I don't have an ATV2 or Airport Express.

Hi,
Have you got a wireless network set-up at home..because you won't really need those ports for streaming video,movies and music wirelessly from iTunes?

Can you also confirm what make and model of AVR (your receiver) you have please?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have a 26" Vizio LCD, 13" macbook pro (2009) a Net gear dual band router. And a Yamaha HTR-3064, it came in the YHT-396BL package. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks,

Your Receiver is pretty well specified with inputs so you have a few options.

If you want a basic 5.1 audio set-up whilst watching a DVD on you MBP then I would suggest a mini-TOSLINK or optical mini to TOSLINK cable between the 3,5mm jack that mrplow mentioned on your MBP and one of the optical inputs e.g the AV1 or AV4 inputs on the receiver.

Your MBP should automatically detect that you have plugged this cable into it and changes the name of the output to "Digital Out" in your sound preferences . You must choose the 'Digital Output' in the Mac DVD player and choose the correct source on your receiver also for it to work.

Because you are blessed with 4 HDMI inputs, if you had an ATV2 then one HDMI cable from that to a spare input on the amp would be all you needed for Video passthrough to your TV and 5.1 Audio through the system. This option would be wireless ,with your Mac streaming content over your local network and the ATV2 to your AV set-up.

There are other ways but these are reasonable options for you to have a think about initially I guess.

OP
J
Reaction score
thank you. the Mini-toslink seems like the way to go. I would really just like to play music from my computer on my receiver. I have a BD player for movies.

OP
J
Reaction score
One more question. If I get the Toslink to optical mini cable, would I need an adapter to plug into the head phone jack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you. the Mini-toslink seems like the way to go. I would really just like to play music from my computer on my receiver. I have a BD player for movies.

Cool. I listen to my music over the ATV2 and output in Stereo. I too have all the separates but the ATV2 has saved me getting my backside off the couch a few times:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.