Pervert?

Reaction score
Is it possible someone is viewing my web cam?
I recently gave my mac to an IT guy at my uni who installed windows xp on to it, he told me that he made it so i could use my web cam in windows.....recently the screen has been flickering and today the webcam light came on?!?! is it possible he has remote access to my cam or that someone else has?

Many thanks,

M

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Absolutely. Any time that light comes on, the camera is active. It sounds very much like he installed some kind of remote access software on it. Does this occur while running in Windows or Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
I don't know what you mean (or he means) by being able to use your webcam in windows, as being able to use your webcam has nothing to do with windows.
The answer is yes, it is possible, and if your webcam light came on without you turning on your isight or webcam yourself, it is more than likely your "IT guy, friend, or whatever you choose to call him" has given you reason to erase your HD.
Get out your install disc, and zero out your hard drive, and reinstall your OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
cwa107..... you beat me to it again! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get out your install disc, and zero out your hard drive, and reinstall your OS.

I wouldn't go that far yet. It sounds like VNC if the screen is flickering. That should be easy enough to remove, providing we know which OS it's happening under.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If this is going on under OSX I would open activity monitor and see what is running. If you have any questions let us know. I think CWA is on the right track with VNC.

I take it this never happened before the IT dood worked on your machine?

We need a bit more info like the others have said.

Another question, how are you connected to the internet? When this is going on, what happens if you disconnect the network?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once we have a better idea of what's going on, you also need to promise that you'll report this douchebag IT guy to a supervisor or administration at the school. Once someone proves unworthy of trust, they should not have access to other people's computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough....... and I'm sure that you know more about the VN side of things than I do, but I'd feel a little insecure if I had my isight lights come on!
I'll leave this in the hands of cwa107 and dtravis7...... as my paranoid input on such a subject is going to leave the OP running for the hills :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it is screen sharing, which could be possible given the context you described, go to System Preferences > Sharing and make sure "Screen Sharing" is unchecked.

If it is the case that the guy is spying on you, do as cwa107 suggested and talk (with forcefulness) to his boss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.