SMB on NAS

Reaction score
I am having a problem with SMB shares on a Freecom NAS drive. The finder sees the drive and when I click on the drive it shows me the folders, but when I double click on any of the folders I get - "The operation can't be completed because the original item "folder name" can't be found" - message. I have verified and repaired my startup disks permissions. I am running 10.6.7!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Can you connect via IP versus hostname?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CMD + K in the Finder or from the Go menu Connect to Server.

Enter smb://ip.ad.dr.ess

This should either prompt for credentials or show you the share list if the credentials are saved in the keychain.

OP
R
Reaction score
Basically the same problem it shows me a list of all the folders and when I try to connect to a folder it says it cannot mount the volume? It works fine on my old G5 running 10.5.8. Is this a Snow Leopard problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More like a NAS problem.

Are there any firmware upgrades for the NAS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SMB is a protocol. Over the lifetime of a protocol there are security holes discovered and patched.

The implementation of SMB in Snow Leopard is different of that in Leopard. Just like the security requirements of Windows 7 versus XP.

The /etc/smb.conf file may be a place to look to relax the requirements of the protocol on SL. Maybe compare the one on 10.5 to the one on 10.6.

Or look for a firmware update on the NAS.

Reaction score
solution found

hi,
after trying out several tweaks i found a solution here: MacWindows: Snow Leopard and File Sharing Tips and Reports

just changing the password to numerics made it possible for me to mount my password protected wd-netcenter share under 10.6.7 (my other mac runs 10.4.x, and had no problems mounting it).
this might be a hint to understand the problem - or just be a workaround.
at least for me it works

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.