Mouse Sensitivity settings

Reaction score
First post here... first Mac too. I just got my Macbook Pro today, along with a Logitech v270 (?) bluetooth mouse. It works fine, but was crazy (unusable) sensitive. So I went to the mouse settings and dropped the sensitivity down, but the problem is...

The lowest setting for tracking speed (far left) is WAY too slow. Fine, but just one click to the right and its too fast... usable, but I'd prefer slower. If I could put a number on these settings, and 1 was slowest and 100 fastest, the 10 possible settings feel like 01, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, and 100. Is this a common issue, is it just with this mouse, or is it just my computer?

Thanks

-David

T

todd51

When I switched to my first Mac, I noticed that the mouse was a lot slower than what you could normally get it on a PC. I have my mouse settings set at 1 notch below the highest.

You'll easily get used to it if you keep it. I like having it fast, so my mouse isn't using the entire mousepad. When a lot of people would use my PC, they couldn't stand how fast I had my mouse set. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
...I have my mouse settings set at 1 notch below the highest.

You'll easily get used to it if you keep it. I like having it fast, so my mouse isn't using the entire mousepad. ...

I'm playing with it now, and mine is set at one notch above the slowest, and it takes less than an inch of mouse movement to go from far left to far right on my 15 inch widescreen. If I go one notch to the right (slowest), it takes a foot to go the same distance. Set to to your setting, I get about a quarter inch of mouse play for the full screen.

Something somewhere between an inch of play and a foot would be nice...

-David

Reaction score
The trackpad detects speed in addition to movement. If you move your finger quickly, the cursor will move a lot farther than if you moved your finger the same distance more slowly.

As an experiment:

My trackpad sensitivity is set right in the middle. Moving my finger as fast as I could, I got the cursor to move from one end of the screen to the other traversing only half the width of the trackpad. Moving my finger as slowly as I could, the cursor moved only about an inch with the same amount of travel on the trackpad.

OP
W
Reaction score
did you install logitech software?

No. The CD said that no software was reqired for Apple computers, just connect and go. Today I hooked up an MS USB mouse and the sensitivity settings are fine. Slow is slow, fast is fast, with even adjustments between. The Logitech (bluetooth) does not work well to the sensitivity settings in the Mac prefs. I'll check if there is Mac logitech software I can install.

Thanks

-David

OP
W
Reaction score
The trackpad detects speed in addition to movement. If you move your finger quickly, the cursor will move a lot farther than if you moved your finger the same distance more slowly.

As an experiment:

My trackpad sensitivity is set right in the middle. Moving my finger as fast as I could, I got the cursor to move from one end of the screen to the other traversing only half the width of the trackpad. Moving my finger as slowly as I could, the cursor moved only about an inch with the same amount of travel on the trackpad.

The trackpad is fine (as is the USB mouse I tried), its just the Bluetooth mouse that is the problem. I'm just using the trackpad now... its much easier to live with now that I enabled clicking and alt clicking in the prefs.

-David

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok, after more research, here's what I found. The Logitech V270 has issues with the sensitivity settings on Macbook Pros (maybe on all OSX machines?). I found several others with the same issue, and Logitech says since they have no software for OSx, nothing they can do at the moment. However, I did come accross this...

http://homepage.mac.com/bhines/mousezoom.html

Its a Control Pane that shows up in the system prefs that lets you fine tune the mouse settings in much finer increments. Works great.

-David

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok, after more research, here's what I found. The Logitech V270 has issues with the sensitivity settings on Macbook Pros (maybe on all OSX machines?). I found several others with the same issue, and Logitech says since they have no software for OSx, nothing they can do at the moment. However, I did come accross this...

http://homepage.mac.com/bhines/mousezoom.html

Its a Control Pane that shows up in the system prefs that lets you fine tune the mouse settings in much finer increments. Works great.

-David

I have that very mouse on a iMac G5 and had the same issues. I tried Mousezoom and I was able to fine tune it to my liking. I was about to suggest you try it but I see you did!!

:spook:

I love the mouse otherwise though. Works great and I can go in the next room and it still works! haha. Hard to see the screen through the wall though! :spook:

Reaction score
I'm having mouse problems too. The function brought up by ToddG about cursor moving a lot by just small distance of mouse when moving fast, i hate it. i can never control exactly where the cursor goes because of that. is there a way to turn it off? i'd prefer the cursor to move according to mouse movement regardless of the speed. i'm using a microsoft "Arc Mouse". the included software for mac has been installed, but there is no option for such setting in the newly installed "microsoft mouse" settings pane or the generic mac's mouse settings pane...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.