Need help on deciding my reinstall

Reaction score
I've been having some issues lately and I decided to just reinstall Mac OS X. My question is in order to fix my issue's do I just reinstall Mac OS X or do I have to set it back to factory settings?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you tell us what issues you're having? Reinstalling OS X should be the very last resort and usually it's not necessary to reinstall in order to solve problems.

OP
M
Reaction score
I can't delete some files and I keep getting error 8003 even though I've tried all solutions. Never used time machine before. Nothing is appearing in my 'today' or 'yesterday' folders and now when ever I turn it on it asks for a password even though I never changed anything to ask for that and it never did it before.

Also did the disk utility repairs as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
matt9013,
you tried Onyx and it didn't work?

OP
M
Reaction score
matt9013,
you tried Onyx and it didn't work?
Thanks Onyx worked for the trash problem.

I still don't have anything under my 'today' or 'yesterday' folders though and it takes forever to turn on after turning my Macbook off. Over 5 mins I'd say when before it was super fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
YTou say did Disk Utility repairs. Did you boo from the install disk and run Repair Disk from there, as it is not possible to repair a disk you are booted from. Also go into SYstem Preferences > Startup Disk and make sure your boot drive is highlighted.

OP
M
Reaction score
YTou say did Disk Utility repairs. Did you boo from the install disk and run Repair Disk from there, as it is not possible to repair a disk you are booted from. Also go into SYstem Preferences > Startup Disk and make sure your boot drive is highlighted.
Yes I booted from the install disk and ran disk repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.