can someone explain to me what

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
finder and spotlight can/or will provide to me, the new mac user?.....Dennis

"Spotlight" is a searching program (files on your computer).

"Finder" is when you're working in the "desktop environment"...very similar to the "Desktop" in the Windows OS world.

Apple just calls the "desktop environment" by a different name (which Apple developed and named it "Finder") long BEFORE (1984) Microsoft & Bill Gates came out with Windows (Windows version 1.0 came out in November, 1985)

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Spotlight will focus your search, depending on how you've set your spotlight preferences. For example if you type spotlight there, it will give results in a list from your computer, email, web etc and it bypasses (?) the use of finder by giving you a long list but it will also show you those references in finder that are on your computer if you select 'Show All'. Spotlight will also access the abilities of other apps on your computer (I imagine there's a limit) ie. if you type in 6+1 it will give you the calculator answer.

Finder will show you all files depending on where/how you access it and it will focus but will not access email or web.

M

MacInWin

Finder is like File Explorer, Spotlight is like Search, only much, much easier to use and faster.

Reaction score
I like to use Spotlight to fast open apps: Hit command+space, type the first few letters of an App, hit enter. Voila :) Way faster than grabbing the mouse, starting Launchpad, ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.