First Problem with New 24"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
I was just doing my thing this morning when all of a sudden, black screen. It was as if the iMac just shut down. It would not power up or respond in any way. So, I unplugged everything and took out my Crucial 1Gb stick, powered up. It came back fine, so I first shut back down gently and put the Crucial stick back in. Then I started plugging things back in one at a time. As soon as I plugged the keyboard in, bam. Black screen and no response. Unplugged the keyboard, booted up, then tried it again and all is copacetic, no further problems.

So, ???. Bad keyboard, going bad, fluke?

I looked at /var/log/crashreporter.log.....nada.

I looked at the system.log:

Oct 10 08:46:51 scotts-computer kernel[0]: System Wake
Oct 10 08:46:53 scotts-computer kernel[0]: AppleYukon2 - en0 link active, 100-Mbit, full duplex, symmetric flow control enabled port 0
Oct 10 09:17:28 localhost kernel[0]: hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
Oct 10 09:17:29 localhost kernel[0]: PAE enabled
Oct 10 09:17:29 localhost kernel[0]: 64 bit mode enabled
Oct 10 09:17:29 localhost kernel[0]: standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
Oct 10 09:17:29 localhost kernel[0]: vm_page_bootstrap: 510407 free pages

Nothing here either...you can see where it woke up and I started using it, but then the boot mesages...saw this but don't know the values:

Oct 10 09:17:29 localhost kernel[0]: Previous Shutdown Cause: 0

So, nothing is jumping out at me but I don't know all the places to look yet. Is there a /var/crash type place for core dumps? Do these iMacs coredump by default and is there a kdb type analyzer resident I can use? there's nothing in /cores BTW....

Anyone have any other suggestions? Keyboard seems to be just fine right now....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
My first Alu iMac did this to me a lot but it also had little graphics glitches. I returned it (and a second) and my third one is working great.

Never did figure out what was wrong with the first two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20", 2.16GHz,2Gb Ram, 256MB Graphic card. 80Gig Ipod
hi

same problem with my 20, took it in. they told me nothing to do with mouse or keybord. something to do with a bad driver on the graphics card. They dont know when they will fix. some people are having the problem some are not (which make my wonder if that is the real reason) Took my back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
I still don't understand how, if it is a driver problem, why it isn't happening on ALL machines.

Reaction score
Having same problem

I have a new iMac (20") and experiencing the same difficulties. Weird random pixelation issues and applications will randomly freeze. My machine is hot to touch (top left side). Called Apple today. The tech guy was helpful and the pixelation issue seems corrected for the moment yet the machine is still hot to the touch. Currently I cannot attach any devices (laptop or external hard drive) via firewire as the icon will not pop up on the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro: 2.4GHz | 13" MacBook: White 2.16GHz | 24" iMac: 2.8GHz
When did you purchase your iMac?
I have a 24" iMac: 2.8GHz that I bought around the first of October and nothing like this has happened to me yet.
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. :[
I'm sure your standard Apple warranty will cover it.
Don't fret, Apple is good about replacing things. :]

(Edit) On my white MacBook: 2.16GHz sometimes when I boot up, the screen will be like, really dim, almost black, and in the Everything Mac manual, there was a certain key sequence that made it light up again. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your problem, just thought I'd have my input.

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Update:

I tend to try lots of things when isolating an issue....tried running with various things unplugged, etc....nada.

Last Friday, I turned off the automatic sleep mode, which I had set to 1 hour. Now I have to manually make it sleep....BUT....it has NOT exhibited this spontaneous shutting down since.

So....???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
Glad to see you've isolated the problem (hopefully). Just out of curiosity, why haven't you tried to return it or take it to a Mac Genius?

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to see you've isolated the problem (hopefully). Just out of curiosity, why haven't you tried to return it or take it to a Mac Genius?

Well, I'm a Systems Analyst by trade and figuring out problems is what I do.

I'm new to Mac, having made the switch on 8/7 when these new ones came out. Tinkering around with this issue has given me an opportunity to learn quite a bit about this new system and how/why it works....and as much as I curse when it happens, the sense of satisfaction I get when it's up and running again is worth the frustration.

If it keeps happening and I get to the point where I feel I've exhausted every avenue I'll take it in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.